Metal pieces in my carburetor float

I was tuning my jets and didn't see any thing in the float, a few changes later I noticed small particles and shaving of metal, there's no fuel filter on(now there is) but I don't understand what or why this is?

The gas tank is 7 years old and emaculate with no rust.

IMG_3787.JPG

Re: Metal pieces in my carburetor float

Dirty petcock? If not it could just be crap coming out from the gas station pump.

Jeremy Homser /

Looks like brass shavings from the Jets you swapped. Did you damage the Jets with the screwdriver?

Dirty30 Dillon /

Thats just sand.

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Looks like normal crud found in the bottom of most carbs. Using a fuel filter will help. Doesn't look that bad, though. If one of those bits gets into the jet it won't run right but a quick periodic cleaning is always a good idea.

I use giant paper filters. usually john deere. Then go years without rebuilding the carb.

I always recommend and use a paper inline fuel filter , good to at least 60 micron .

Used on Briggs & Stratton motors and others .

Bad Cadillac™ /

Dump it out and run it. Check it again later. Like PD said and or get a filter.

oh man, fuel filter in line was one of the first lessons I learned., I learned it repeatedly.

Thanks guys, I was panicking and worried about seizing my motor. I did change the jets a gazillion times and I probably over tightened them a bit. It takes a few kicks to get it running and the only thing I know is the idle could be adjusted a little better but The other jets are tuned solid so I wonder if those flakes are causing the start up lag.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

I always fill my tanks in a hermetic cleanroom after triple-distilling my fuel for an extra smooth mouthfeel.

Jk, I use these. they are good and cheap at $3.12 and 65 micron

If you're real anal about it or feeling ritzy and bougie af they got 20 micron filters at $6.25.

I also buy a lot of shit from McMaster so I just throw some into my order if I need them. Shipping is usually $5-6 for small stuff. My only gripe is that they are not clear. so I use transparent fuel line. w/e life is a bitch sometimes. (edited)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account