Honda NU50/ Urban Express - drive face assembly - how to remove

I really want to remove the drive face assembly so I can remove three of the six roller weights. I don't have a crankshaft holder - is there a way to remove the nut. If theres no option - what crankshaft holder tool(s) do I need.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Honda NU50/ Urban Express - drive face assembly - how to remove

Jack Rutherford /

strap wrench, impact wrench, or piston stop should give you a start

some recommend against piston stop. I used one once prior to knowing this with no ill effects (edited)

Strap wrench on the flywheel on the opposite side. I would avoid putting too much force to the moving pulley face. If you don't have an impact then a short breaker bar and a few good whacks with a mallet should knock it loose.

Maybe a C clamp on the belt , in the pulley , to keep the belt from slipping ?

Then a breaker bar ...

Against the aluminum drive face? You will have huge gouges in that thing in no time.

> DPC Ryan Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Against the aluminum drive face? You will have huge gouges in that thing

> in no time.

I said "on the belt" . The belt is the only thing contacting the pulley . The C clamp is only squeezing the belt so the pulley can't spin .

when i was a noob that didn't know any better, i bought a car oil filter wrench because i thought it was a strap wrench, it does just barely fit around the outer drive face, i use a little strip of bike inner tube in between to get a grip. that's what i still use 10 years later, works fine, unless someone before you put the nut on with an impact wrench.

And then the clamp is going to be driven INTO the pulley.

> DPC Ryan Wrote:

> And then the clamp is going to be driven INTO the pulley.

There are different size C clamps . Only use one that's no wider than the belt .

Does that help your mental image ?

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Impact, over $50, piston stop, $10, or you can make one out of a spark plug.

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Dude you do realize this is a manuel in the wiki on this bike so you don't have to ask these ridiculous questions

@dr_kwak - if you read my question carefully i specifically asked if theres any other way of removing the drive - without the specified tool.

Thanks to everyone who replied with suggestions. I bought a strap wrench (wrapped it around the the main assembly) and managed to get it off.

FYI - for anyone who is thinking of removing the other three weights, there a bit of an improvement in acceleration. I might get 6 equivalent weights to balance everything out evenly.

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

I covered that in your other thread.

Please don't start a new thread for every bolt you need to take off of this thing okay thank you.

And please download the Manuel.

Fucking Noobs,....... (edited)

> W L Wrote:

> ...FYI - for anyone who is thinking of removing the other three weights,

> there a bit of an improvement in acceleration. I might get 6 equivalent

> weights to balance everything out evenly.

This is a good thought experiment (re: balancing of 6 over 3 weights). Without getting too technical, as long as the magnitude of the vectors (force of the weight on the disk) sum to zero (which they should if all the weights are the same, and evenly spaced), then the number of weights shouldn't matter (as long as there's more than 1, using planar-Euclidean geometry & ~ high-school physics principles). That said - no system is entirely perfect, and more points to position mass (with the attempt being as evenly from the center as possible), will result in more uniform moment of inertia around the circumference of the disk. More mass (applied evenly) will also increase the moment, and smooth/balance action.

But, at a very micro level, the radius of the weights from center will differ to some degree, even if only micrometers, not to mention the fact that the disk is fixed perpendicular to the axis of rotation along the z axis (enter gravity); spacial movement is much more complex than planar. Still these variables should be negligible for our purposes.

Now what about if three weights (masses) are of one type, X grams, and 3 of another, Y grams? The heavier weights will apply more outward force (and themselves, require more force to move). But since the force needed to move the belt is (assumed to be) uniformly applied to the disk at any given moment (this is not technically true, as it does not touch the entire circumference), then the differences in mass should not matter. This also assumes that the force of the lower mass weights is not sufficient to move the belt / variate, and/or that any of the masses at rest could do the same (very unlikely for our purposes).

Ugh, what a tangent. Hope someone finds this at least interesting (but prob not, you all seem smart anyway). (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account