Locked Gas Cap

Andrew Leone /

Anyone have a tip or trick to getting a locked gas cap off? I'm thinking I'll have to drill it out but if there's an easier way, I'm all ears.

Re: Locked Gas Cap

Probably Fred /

Depends on the cap/bike,

What bike and what cap. Post a picture of it

Flat head screwdriver.

just kill it, or 25 at the locksmiths

my a55 stock lock cap can be unlocked using whatever flat device i have, just try stuff out

Probably Fred /

On puch maxi oem locking cap you squeeze the outside so with pliers or something until it grips the inside and turns

pry it off with screwdriver and replace

Braap Master Mope /

the general 5 star gas cap can easily be popped open without a key.

grab a small screw driver or a pick, push the cap down towards the tank, and use the screwdriver/pick to push back the latch that holds the cap closed.

you have to get low and look between the cap and the tank to see the latch, but once you know how to do it it's cake.

push towards the front of the bike to release the latch. (edited)

Bosnianbill says

you can pick it.

after removing a lock from my ped, i get a matching blank from my local locksmith.

depending on the lock, either cut the key, or just remove the pins so any blank will work.

Andrew Leone /

Whoa! Great info. Thanks everyone.

It's an Indian, see the attached pic.

I'm gonna try these suggestions.

Thanks

20171027_111010.jpg

I assume by "locked" you mean to say that you're missing the key (as opposed to the cap is stuck by way of rust, or something like that).

Look as the tools in Glens's post - this is spot on. If you have a bit of time, consider getting a small set from Southord; this is where I get all my stuff (that I don't make myself) - the quality is top-notch. If you just want to get this think opened fast I would recommend the following techniques:

1 - Bumping. To make a "bump" key though, you'll need to know what type of blank the lock uses.

2 - Jigglers. Google "lock jigglers" or something to that effect. You'll still need to know the general shape of the blank, but the precise fit is far less important as long as you can touch all the pins, like this Jiggler.

Worst case scenario, you do it by hand.

Use a small pick, bobby pin, etc. - anything that will allow you to "feel" the pins will work. Directly above (or below, depending on angle) you will apply slight turning pressure via the "tension tool" (flat metal bent into an "L" shape). A complete noob should still be able to tackle this in about 30 mins (30 secs if you're lucky, or experienced). And yes, you do run the risk of damaging the locking mechanism if you don't know what your doing, but that will just make it easier to pick in the future (usually).

Hope this helps. Mechanical picking is actually pretty fun. (edited)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account