New idea for a puch maxi tank leak repair?

Martin Latham /

Hi all,

Im new on here and thought I'd open up with an idea about repairing the fuel tank on a Maxi (if no one has tried it before).

I have a small hole at the bottom Of The tank which is in the frame where no one can get to!

My idea was to cut the weld between the tank and the rear frame section to retract the tank from the frame, do the welding repairs(holes) And re joint the the tank and frame then weld it back together?

Sound plausible??

I don't have many options really so will probably do it anyway. I want to cut the very bottom Of The tank off anyway to have a proper look at what's happening in there.

Let me know if anyone had had a go at doing this.

Thanks

Martin

Re: New idea for a puch maxi tank leak repair?

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

I've thought about that....would definitely be satisfying to be able to clean a maxi tank like that.

Depending on the condition of the metal, it may make welding very difficult. Youd need to be a real good tig welder....would probably want to reinforce the area and the frame.

Would also need to be very careful to align everything and avoid warping.

Otherwise I don't see why not! Would be neat to see.

Martin Latham /

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think getting it strength would be to much of an issue.

I can use a mig OK, why do you say tig?

My theory is that the bottom Of The tank gets most Of The water issues due to water being heavier than fuel so will be the worst effected? I know the whole tank gets rusty but in pretty confident that structurally it should be fine?

When I do go for it and if I remember I'll make a few pics of what and how I did it.

It's nice to have a positive response to my idea.

Thanks

Overpriced Parts /

I would just post for new used Maxi frame in good shape on buy+sell for the tank is the frame and everything has to be perfect alignment as well as very strong so cutting apart then welding back something Rusted not such a good idea,

Good frames could be had for pretty reasonable price

There are alot of things that could go wrong, but it can certainly go right as well! Either way, i have never seen this done before, so it would be a cool experiment to watch.

Regarding the type of welder.....if someone can use a tig well, i would be confident that person could make it work well enough considering its thin metal and needs lots of strength and cleanliness, something that TIG does better. Even if it doesn't work out, you can always get another Maxi frame like Ken says.

Martin Latham /

I do agree with you, but for the purpose of trying to keep it somewhat originalish it's got to be worth a bit of a try?

I know I could open a can of worms but I can't help but want to have a go.

It would be nice if new frames were still being made

Martin Latham /

I can use a mig OK and I have a mate who is a code welder so that bits sorted

orrr if tank welding fails, cut off E50 engine mounts (keep swingarm too maybe) and weld onto a random moped frame.

I say go for it . I like the idea of working with what you have and possibly making it better .

Do It! Nobody here is going to give you any flak. I would start a new thread if/when you do it.

Martin Latham /

i have started another thread with pics.

i will add more pics as i go.

please search puch maxi tank part 1

If the rust appears to be enough of a issue from the outside that cutting up a monocoque frame is needed to address the rust then that is a sure sign that it is time to seek a new frame in my opinion.

...unless you are doing it just so you have bragging rights that you did it - then it would be interesting to see pics of the repair procedure from start to finish...

Martin Latham /

I'm not interested in any bragging rights.

My whole reason is to try an preserve some Of The old stuff we have through repair and a bit of elbow grease.

As I said in the title, it was an "idea". And I wondered if anyone had tried it themselves.

From taking it apart I have found that the rust holes are not a thinning Of The steel but appear to be almost "worm hole" in appearance which says to me minor defections in the material seem to be the problem at this moment in time.

If i felt that the whole structure Of The material had become compromised by a total degradation Of The inner layer Of The tank I would not bother with my second thread.

Your input is welcomed But I Am just a bloke who likes to try and fix things before I give up on problems.

If people like me were nit about we would be all driving new cars with no understanding of how we got there.

It's just an idea. I had no intention of causing upset.

jason anderson /

I was about to do the same thing. I have a Newport puch and the gas tank has pin holes everywhere. But the metal is in good shape. So I mig welded most of the holes and 2 coats of red kote seal. Didn't try it yet. I really wanted to brazen the holes .but no torch set. Good luck dude.

Bringing an old post back I'm currently about to cut the front out of my maxi s tank as got it back from the sand blasters with a fair few holes in it.

Can let people know how it's going if anyone remotely interested

20190528_183417.jpg

Keep us posted .

Dirty30 Dillon /

Judging by the goober welds on the tank and holding the petcock in, this frame has seen better days.

You can buy a Maxi frame for like nothing... just get a solid one.

Was my first thought but I can find a frame with tags and v5 here in the UK. Not got much to loose

thats scrap, move on.

> pat splat Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> thats scrap, move on.

I mean if he's gonna throw it out anyway why not dick around with an idea he has first

if i wanna dick around go ahead, its your life, actually riding a moped is much funner than wasting time/energy/resources/etc

Your right tbh. Got another frame so going to chuck it on the pile. If I get bored might cut it open

Very interested! TU for the picture. Get the cheese grater out and your a 6 pack and a bag of chips.

Very interested! TU for the picture. Get the cheese grater out and your a 6 pack and a bag of chips.

Michael Cheek /

THERE IS A PRODUCT called Kreem Tank Liner, I have used it for years, I have a lawnmower tank that is still leak free after twenty or so years, no cutting, no welding. I just did that to my Peugeot 102, tank does not come off frame, You can look it up on the web and buy at Amazon,, good stuff

> Michael Cheek Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> THERE IS A PRODUCT called Kreem Tank Liner, I have used it for years, I

> have a lawnmower tank that is still leak free after twenty or so years,

> no cutting, no welding. I just did that to my Peugeot 102, tank does not

> come off frame, You can look it up on the web and buy at Amazon,, good

> stuff

Yours has to be the best review of Kreem I've seen in 30 years . Surely one of the only positive reviews .

Please advise on the proper use to have it last 20 years without coming undone .

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account