FA50 Front Wheel Bearing Removal

Brian Vandivere /

The Service Manual doesn't cover it.

I have an open bearing on one side, and a sealed on the other. Seems to be a tube between them. Locating the special Suzuki bearing puller (used for the transmission (and perhaps this) will be a joke.

Anyone with any ideas about getting these bearings out? The first side will be the challenge.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Re: FA50 Front Wheel Bearing Removal

You might try pushing that tube to one side , enough to get an edge of one of the bearing inner races partially exposed . Then drift that bearing out . It'll take a good sized screw driver or rod to move that tube .

Here's a parts fiche for visualization :

http://www.suzukipartspitstop.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d3eb1cf8700230d8b4aed1/front-wheel

Brian Vandivere /

Thanks very much. I'll give it a try. If not, it looks like Harbor Freight has a puller with a collard small enough to work.

Don't baby that tube when trying to push it aside . Remember that it's likely been in there since the factory and is probably 'set in it's way' . That doesn't mean it can't be moved .

I'm confused as to "open" and "closed". Do you mean that both are sealed bearings but one has a cover over the balls and the other lacks the cover ??

These isn't any loose balls and cone bearings ? Correct ?

> Marc Friedman Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I'm confused as to "open" and "closed". Do you mean that both are

> sealed bearings but one has a cover over the balls and the other lacks

> the cover ??

>

> These isn't any loose balls and cone bearings ? Correct ?

Exactly that^ .

Sealed bearings have 'covers' over both sides .

And , no loose balls .

Brian Vandivere /

Marc, One is a normal bearing with the balls enclosed in a race, the other has covers on both sides. When I zoomed in on the parts diagram, it was evident that the "open" bearing is correct on the brake shoe / hub side of the wheel. No idea why. Maybe it shares lube from the speedo gear.

Ok thanks for the clarification. Is the desire to replace the bearing based on one or both feeling bad when u turn them with ur finger? Or a general rebuild concept.

I would imagine the center spacer about the inner metal of each sealed bearing. The cover can be easily pried off with a small flat blade but getting those bearings out can be a nightmare I would suspect.

If hell bent on removal s get some seabreeze it think is the brand name " deep creep ". Spray and let sit repeatedly then u gotta heat the axle gently and start destroying both bearings without damaging the soft aluminum of the axle.

Make sure u really need to do this before commencing destruction.

I could be wrong having never worked on this particular wheel there may be a way to get behind the bearing. If so the deep creep and heat should make it easier if u can get behind.

> Brian Vandivere Wrote:

> Marc, One is a normal bearing with the balls enclosed in a race, the

> other has covers on both sides. When I zoomed in on the parts diagram,

> it was evident that the "open" bearing is correct on the brake shoe /

> hub side of the wheel. No idea why. Maybe it shares lube from the

> speedo gear.

Both of those bearing have balls enclosed between the inner and outer races .

One of the bearings is sealed and one is not .

Ok but I'm asking : are the bearings shot ? Or do they need some deep creep followed by lavish application of grease. And the cover of the "sealed " bearing replaced. Or do they for sure need to come out. That's all.

> Marc Friedman Wrote:

> Ok but I'm asking : are the bearings shot ? Or do they need some deep

> creep followed by lavish application of grease. And the cover of the

> "sealed " bearing replaced. Or do they for sure need to come out.

> That's all.

Then ask that^ straight out .

If they are questionable , simply replace them and be done with it . They are fairly cheap and your time away from riding is expensive . ;)

Brian Vandivere /

They need to be replaced. The scoot sat unused for 30 years, and the open face one is rust spotted and pitted. The other one doesn't turn too well, either. This scoot is getting a full refurb. Right down to new spokes, repainted hubs, polished magneto and crankcase covers, all oil seals and suport bushings, full repaint, rebuilding carb, forks.... you get the idea.

Yea baby. I like this. Please post you progress pulling out the bearings.

Brian Vandivere /

Well, the HF puller was a letdown. It's going back. The steel jaws are so soft the metal compressed instead of pulling the bearing out. POS.

Not to be deterred, I headed for the drill press. 5 minutes later, I had drilled (about 1/8" bit) through the spaces between the balls in the open bearing. I pulled out the twisted metal, moved all the balls to one side, and drove the hub race off center. The balls fell out, the center race came out, and a few well placed whacks with a drift later, both bearings were out. 20 minutes max.

Here's what they look like after a little Dremel work, ready for new bearings.

IMG_0140.JPG
IMG_0141.JPG

And a shot of the magneto cover, polishing complete.

IMG_0142.JPG

Yes great job. I was hinting u had to get down and dirty to get those bearings out. Again don't understand why one side doesn't have covers on the bearings. I would use bearings with covers. Too much crap around axles. Unless in an oil bath.

Had I known you had the hub clear of spokes , I'd have suggested heat . About 15 or 20 minutes in an old outdoor grill , set on high , does a great job .

Anyway , good job . On both the bearings and the cover .

Will you try to have the transmission cover match that^ cover ?

I like the polished look , but don't care for the upkeep required , so I simply painted my covers . Lazy , I know , but , I wanted to ride .

Brian Vandivere /

Thanks, all. I knew the heat route too, and had my trusty propane torch out. But, after the POS tool blew out, I just wanted to get it done...... now. Impatient?? About some things, yep. Thanks for the kudos on the mag cover. It's small and easy to keep looking good. I have burnished the transmission cover to get 30+ years of oxidation off. I think I'll do a combo finish on it - polish the raised oval and logo, and paint the rest.

As soon as I figure out the wiki, I'll start a thread there for the rest of it.

> Brian Vandivere Wrote:

> Thanks, all. I knew the heat route too, and had my trusty propane torch

> out. But, after the POS tool blew out, I just wanted to get it

> done...... now. Impatient?? About some things, yep. Thanks for the

> kudos on the mag cover. It's small and easy to keep looking good. I

> have burnished the transmission cover to get 30+ years of oxidation off.

> I think I'll do a combo finish on it - polish the raised oval and logo,

> and paint the rest.

>

> As soon as I figure out the wiki, I'll start a thread there for the rest

> of it.

That could look sharp . Maybe a bit of contrast for highlight . Then maybe paint the S on the mag cover or maybe just a partial background paint around it ...

Sorry for the muse .

FWIW if you work on a lot of moped and motorcycle wheels, this tool is worth the price of admission. (For sealed bearings, not cup-and-cone bicycle bearings)

pp.gif

(edited)

Brian Vandivere /

Looks like a nice tool. Thanks. Next time...... this will be on the acquisition list if I have to do more than one or two.

Yes awesomeness

Brian Vandivere /

I started a wiki thread for the project. It's under the "Discussion" tab of the FA50 page.

I will continue to add to it as the project moves forward. As always, comments and suggestions are welcome.

> Brian Vandivere Wrote:

> I started a wiki thread for the project. It's under the "Discussion" tab

> of the FA50 page.

>

> I will continue to add to it as the project moves forward. As always,

> comments and suggestions are welcome.

Maybe adding a link would generate more traffic .

Brian Vandivere /

Agreed on the link. I just haven't figured out how, and I didn't want to mess up the main FA50 page to try it. Perhaps one of the admins here could give me a hand.

Brian Vandivere /

Let's see if this link works:

FA50 Restoration Project (edited)

> Brian Vandivere Wrote:

> Let's see if this link works:

> FA50 Restoration Project

Seems fine to me .

Brian Vandivere /

Now I just have to figure out how to edit the existing page without screwing it up.

Metal now burnished, taped, and ready to prime.

IMG_0426.JPG
IMG_0428.JPG

And primed.....

image.jpg

The spoke hole one the hub at 1 o'clock. Is that a crack ?

Brian Vandivere /

Nope, shadow of the welded flange. Good eye, though !

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account