motobecane moron

I always wanted a moped and so i bought not one but 3 motobecane mobylettes...and i dont know squat about these things so for now spending my time on the 1977 that has a title i put the other 2 in storage i can get it started and it runs for 20-30 sec then dies what im looking for is a shop/repair book i plan on starting by replacing cables, controls "i think the problem is choke or decomp" then chains, tires then carb, exhaust. all of this sounds like a plan but i have no idea how to do such. so i need help finding the right info, websites,books. maybe even a "motobecane mentor"

Re: motobecane moron

Rory Kelly Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I always wanted a moped and so i bought not one

> but 3 motobecane mobylettes...and i dont know

> squat about these things so for now spending my

> time on the 1977 that has a title i put the other

> 2 in storage i can get it started and it runs for

> 20-30 sec then dies what im looking for is a

> shop/repair book i plan on starting by replacing

> cables, controls "i think the problem is choke or

> decomp" then chains, tires then carb, exhaust. all

> of this sounds like a plan but i have no idea

> how to do such. so i need help finding the right

> info, websites,books. maybe even a "motobecane

> mentor"

Any pics of the moped?

Rory Kelly /

wont let me uplaod

Rebel Moby (rebelmoby)

No spark - $8.95 for a DR60 condenser, replace the bonding strap and ground out the 6V terminal on the genny.

Throw on a SHA14:12 with a #53 and as long as the spi seals are not kaput you are good to go...

Always run the coldest plug which does not foul. WHen you pull a well seasoned plug the burn mark on the side electrode should be no further then the bend in the electrode.

Jabbing at it with a screwdriver if it is stubborn is also an option

unquote

Dont waste 30$ on CDs or DVDs made from manuals which are online for free (courtesy of Linda Green) ...

http://projectmopedmanual.info/Manual_HTML/motobecane.html

Right now while it is running for 20-30 seconds, check if you have a nice bright blue snappy spark, bright enough to be seen in just the bikes shadow and not total darkness. If the spark is feeble and yellowy then replace the condenser with an external one, replace the bonding strap, disconnect the jump wire going from the grey external coil wire to the kill switch. You should have a healthy spark after that.

If you have goodly spark but still no joy, give the motor a leak down test for VACUUM (meaning draw the air OUT of the engine not blow air in) via the intake with the piston at TDC to see if the spi seals are leaking, likely they are and you will need to build the bottom end (or test the motors on the other two Mobys and use the best of the three).

After which if there is a no joy then likely the carb is kaput, if you are going to be a purist about the bike then you wil have to tinker LOTS with the Gurtner carb. If you want to bike to just be running then throw on a Dellorto SHA 14:12 with a 53 jet.

Stephen Simmons Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Rory Kelly Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > wont let me uplaod

>

>

> http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTOBECANE-40-50-50V-7-SER

> VICE-Repair-MANUAL-Owner-OPERATOR-5-MANUALS-CD-/23

> 2440418328?hash=item361e875018:g:bUUAAOSwz2tZiiIF&

> vxp=mtr

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account