Seat cover dying or painting?

Refurbishing the old amf Roadmaster and the seat looks pretty seedy. It's made of some kind of strange vinyl-rubbery type plastic. I have tried cleaning it but it's not getting much better. It's an ugly yellow colour anyhow. Anyone ever try dying something like that? I see vinyl paint at the auto parts store for interiors and I have wondered about plastic,-dip as well. But I'm afraid my a** will stick to the seat. Lol this is just a low budget rebuild so I can't see buying a replacement seat.

Re: Seat cover dying or painting?

Charles McCusker /

Could always go to michaels and buy some material and wrap it and staple it underneath. or seam rip the existing cover and use it as a pattern and sew up something new with cheapo vinyl

+1 on Charles info. I got a yard of marine vinyl for about 8 bucks. Enough to do about 4 large seats and make a cool tool roll with the extra.

Charles McCusker /

It was a little late last night and I didn't address your actual question, sorry. I've never used any vinyl paint, I know people who have on car interior components. It usually looks fantastic initially and then I've seen it look terrible not long after, but who knows what brand/product they used. I'm sure there is something out there that works alright.

Personally, I would stay away from it on a seat surface. it will get rubbed on just by riding and what not and I wouldn't think it would hold up well. This is why I suggested re-covering it.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

I've used the vinyl dye on interior to change the color. It actually works well. It goes on thin and can easily run, but the runs disappear when it dries, so no big deal. It somehow absorbs in to the surface of the vinyl and holds up better than expected. Touch-up on scratches blend nicely.

Charles McCusker /

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've used the vinyl dye on interior to change the

> color. It actually works well. It goes on thin and

> can easily run, but the runs disappear when it

> dries, so no big deal. It somehow absorbs in to

> the surface of the vinyl and holds up better than

> expected. Touch-up on scratches blend nicely.

that's good to hear. does it hold up well in frequently touched areas? what brand do you use? (edited)

I don't remember the brand name. I got it at advance auto(western auto back then) or pep boys. I sold the car about a year later and even the drivers seat still looked good. They were light tan vinyl seats and i sprayed them black. A few months later i had a wrench in my back pocket and it left a scrape across the seat back. Sprayed over it and once it was dry, it all blended right in with the rest of the seat. This was maybe 30yrs ago on a ford maverick. I was very impressed with the stuff.

Charles McCusker /

If it was 30 years ago it may have been a totally different formula than what you can get now. probably had seal blood in it or mercury or something. Kidding but kinda not. Here's hoping the OP can find something like that. I know my friends who have used vinyl interior paint/dye (dunno what brand) had it peel and flake and looked like shit. Maybe they didn't prep the surface and sprayed over their armor-all ha!

Yeah, that was before Armor-all. I wasn't a kind of coating that could flake off. This stuff soaked in to the vinyl. I could tell if it's still the same stuff by the smell. Very strong distinct odor. Kinda breathtaking, if you know what i mean. It's probably why i don't remember anything before the age of 14.

Jay Gorveatte /

Thanks for the suggestions. If it was I regular seat I would definitely recover it. I should have been more clear the cover is a kind of molded rubber. I will take a picture of it.

SEM vinyl dye. Did a whole interior with it and only the area where I rested my arm ever showed wear, and even that never "wore off". It just got dirty like a steering wheel.

Jay Gorveatte /

Pictures of the cover. Theses nice foam and a good metal pan under it. There is a small split in one front corner. I'll have to search for some dye maybe.

IMG_0584.JPG
IMG_0585.JPG

That can be cleaned up. You'll need cleanser, or maybe tilex/scrubbing bubbles/etc.

Charles McCusker /

that actually looks like a self skinning foam, not vinyl. you can try dying it, but you legit could cover that if you wanted.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> Yeah, that was before Armor-all. I wasn't a kind

> of coating that could flake off. This stuff soaked

> in to the vinyl. I could tell if it's still the

> same stuff by the smell. Very strong distinct

> odor. Kinda breathtaking, if you know what i mean.

> It's probably why i don't remember anything before

> the age of 14.

kinda like the good ol fashion carb cleaner. my father still has a jug of it from the late 70s, works wonders but god it's volatile (edited)

Jay Gorveatte /

DPC Ryan Wrote:

> That can be cleaned up. You'll need cleanser, or

> maybe tilex/scrubbing bubbles/etc.

That's after using scrubbing bubbles twice. Picked up a can of vinyl paint tonight. I'm going to try it on the bottom first as a test.

Jay Gorveatte /

Cleaned, lightly sanded sprayed some plastic adhesion promoter and a couple of coat of auto parts store vinyl paint. Then a light coat of white with a homemade stencil. It's been done a week now and seems pretty good. Not sure how well it last but I have lots of paint left!

IMG_0622.JPG

Charles McCusker /

Looks good, update us on how well it holds up.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account