$35 AMF Roadmaster XL project

Started a thread in general but guess it really belongs over here. Picked up a $35 rusty AMF Roadmaster XL at a minibike show in Pennsylvania and brought it home to Canada. She's kind of sad right now and the engine was stuck. With a little oil and a wrench it freed up and I was able to get fire. Have cleaned up the carb and tried to start it last night but it seized up again. So after work tonight I did what I should have done first and opened it up. The rust wasn't just on the outside. Surprisingly the Piston and cylinder don't look to bad. The worst are the connecting rod bearings. Pressed them out and will go on a little quest to see if I can find some locally.

IMG_0467.JPG
FB_IMG_1500335502894.jpg
FB_IMG_1500335510473.jpg

Re: $35 AMF Roadmaster XL project

who said theres no bearing on the crankshaft, there it is or am i seeing things

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

What a mess. Put a Lifan on it.

Double Trouble Dan /

I have a couple project bikes if you need parts . One engine is good.

They are for sale locally and may be gone soon.

roadmasterengine.jpg

Best of luck with your project...it's like a cousin of the Solex.

Some manuals here if you don't already have them:

http://projectmopedmanual.info/Manual_HTML/amf.html

Jay Gorveatte /

Thanks for the offer. I'll keep it in mind.

Jay Gorveatte /

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What a mess. Put a Lifan on it.

That's a possibility. Was talking with my brother about putting one in a Puch the other day.

Jay Gorveatte /

Brian Solex Wrote:

> Best of luck with your project...it's like a

> cousin of the Solex.

>

> Some manuals here if you don't already have them:

> http://projectmopedmanual.info/Manual_HTML/amf.htm

> l

Thanks. Got them from you over on east coast mopeds. Already been of use thanks.

Jay Gorveatte /

Only a bit of progress today. No time to look for bearings so I decided to start dismantling it. Have to decide what to do about paint. May mask off the frame decal. Not sure on the color if I can find something off the shelf that's close that will do, probably go with orange for the fenders etc. This isnt really a restoration more of a refurbish.

FB_IMG_1500424103674.jpg

Holy Christ, what rock concert is that lighting coil supposed to power?

Jay Gorveatte /

Bearings on order !

Jay Gorveatte /

Finished dismantling it while I'm waiting for my bearings to arrive. Picked up some paint today as well. Just going to be a quick cheap refurbishment. Beige frame and orange fenders. Bars and lower fork legs will be black as the chrome is to far gone.

IMG_0534.JPG

Jay Gorveatte /

Put a first coat of orange on a few plastic parts. Another coat and some clear should make it ok. Cleaned up the sproket, better than I expected some of the chrome is to far gone but should be ok in black.

FB_IMG_1501284372443.jpg

Jay Gorveatte /

For the other couple of AMF fans, I'm starting to make a little progress and picked up a few odds and ends. Found some suitable hand grips and made a new throttle cable. Got some nos pedals at a local bike shop that are similar to the oem ones. Started some paint. Going with beige and orange. Painted some stripes on the fenders and am having a decal made for the frame. Painted the seat with vinyl paint and stenciled the logo on the back. Hopefully my bearings will arrive this week and the engine can go back together. Thanks J

IMG_0549.JPG
IMG_0622.JPG
IMG_0606.JPG

Jay Gorveatte /

Picked up my tires and tubes yesterday. Rims are worse than I had hoped so I've painted the worst part black.

IMG_0581.JPG
IMG_0590.JPG
IMG_0626.JPG

Lookin good.

Agreed! Love the logo on the seat!

very interested in this

keep us updated

Jay Gorveatte /

Well the general consensus from my local ped friends is the orange is best. Which is what I thought. Usually I'm a black or charcoal kind of guy but this isn't a typical bike. Lol

IMG_0633.JPG
IMG_0632.JPG

great work so far. i hope you get to ride it before it snows :)

Jay Gorveatte /

Boot 2Thehead Wrote:

> great work so far. i hope you get to ride it

> before it snows :)

Yup me to got a few good months left.

Jay Gorveatte /

Well tonight's progress was interesting. Sanded , primed and painted the frame. Set the new can of paint down next to the old one when I finished and realized I had just painted my frame almond, which looked great but I'd used ivory for everything else. Bought the wrong one. Dohh. Made a quick executive decision and resprayed the forks to match then cleared both. I'm leaving the plastic parts, headlight and engine shroud in ivory the bit of contrast between should be fine. I also mounted one of the new tires, the orange on the I'm looks even better with the tire on.

IMG_0640.JPG
IMG_0641.JPG
IMG_0642.JPG

Jay Gorveatte /

And I picked up the bearings for the crank and connecting rod today. Engine reassembly is coming soon!

IMG_0637.JPG
IMG_0634.JPG

Nice the wheel does look good

Did it take a long time to prep the spokes?

Jay Gorveatte /

Scott Rehski Wrote:

> Nice the wheel does look good

> Did it take a long time to prep the spokes?

Not really, I sort of cheated. I masked the rim of course but just cut piece of scrap plastic and used it as a shield. I had previously used brass wire wheel in a drill to clean the spokes. It's good enough for this bike. Assembled the headlight.

IMG_0645.JPG
IMG_0648.JPG
IMG_0647.JPG

This si the most love one of these has prob ever had, can't wait to see it done!

Jay Gorveatte /

Stephen Keller Wrote:

> This si the most love one of these has prob ever

> had, can't wait to see it done!

Yeah, your likely right lol. It's really just labour the tires have been the biggest expense lol

Jay Gorveatte /

I think I need a new chain. Did a quick mock up to how it's going to look. Still have the wiring harness, cables, controls, engine, crank and pedals left.

IMG_0664.JPG
IMG_0665.JPG
IMG_0666.JPG

Andrew Squiggman /

why?

Looking good!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account