Raleigh ultramatic

Bert Klein-Horsman /

I need some help, finally I have this bike back together. I put in fuel and started pedalling, and it came to a stop. Any ideas how to free it up, or why this happens?

Bert

Re: Raleigh ultramatic

Did you fill the crank case with oil and hydrolock the motor?....was it running? Did you put too long of a spark plug in it?.....was the motor turning over then it locked up or did it just stop

Bert Klein-Horsman /

Well, I received it in 3 baskets and the frame. I cleaned it up as I went long. Painted it and put it together for the past 5 years. Every once in awhile it jams like this, but I don't know why. So no it has never ran in my possession.

I wonder if its one of those brakes that turns on when its pedaled backwards?

Bert Klein-Horsman /

The pedals spin freely backwards!

Any pictures? ....it could be so many things.... The other day someone showed a picture of the magnet on the inside of the flywheel had come apart and snagged the stator and broke a stator plate mounting point.....

Bert Klein-Horsman /

I'm not sure what a picture will do, but I'll try to attach one.

IMG_1934.JPG

Picture actually helps me here....similar to my peugeot which will do the same thing!.....there is a compression release lever under the throttle i believe and that little valve opens on the head so you can get the motor rolling then let it go and puff bang boom thing should start right up....but if its on the stand it will seem like something has stopped the piston dead.....( thats good compression)....this is assuming youve already checked the spark plug length....

Will the motor turn freely if the plug is removed?

motor gets stuck or the tires?

Bert Klein-Horsman /

Motor, pedals, rear wheel

Bert Klein-Horsman /

I will try this tomorrow.

"Puff, bang, boom" I like that! How a Moby starts! :)

Bert Klein-Horsman /

I have been able to " unseize" the pedals. But I'm thinking that I may have to take the clutch apart, as I here something rattling in side of it. While I'm here, I have another question. The throttle handle grip, how far does it turn, to increase engine speed? Mine will only rotate about a half inch. Is that enough?

Bert Klein-Horsman /

Also how does one remove the clutch? Is there a special tool needed?

Picture of the clutch side? My peugeot is variated and has a belt set up and chain set up....it sounds like a roller may have come out of the vario....also on the older stuff the throttle doesnt twist too far one way to be sure its opening all the way is look at the slide while the carb is off does it go all the way up when the throttle is twisted? If yes ur good ...if no... The cable housing may be too long (edited)

image.jpeg

When it "locks up" do you mean the motor or the drive train?

Nice looking Raleigh - does it have the WIPAC ignition or the NOVI ?

Bert Klein-Horsman /

I believe it has wipac ignition. Another question, the switch in the headlamp, does that is that also a kill switch for the engine?

I dont think the switch kills the engine....mine the lights dont work and it would run no matter the position of the switch was....i would use the compression release to turn it off

Bert Klein-Horsman /

A question regarding the decompression valve. How hard should it be to push it in to release compression? I have to press fairly hard, and I don't think that the cable can apply this much pressure.

It should be somewhat easy to pull check to see if the valve on the top of the cylinder head is opening...you should be able to open it without the cable by using a flathead screw driver going in the same direction the cable would pull...they can seize up and become stuck in the head....

WIPAC = Canadian version - cool

Use the decompressor to kill the engine.

The decomp being still is likely the cables having corrosion inside - same with the throttle issue. Try flooding your fave lube down the cable sheaths andit should clear up.

Post your woahs on the bike on Facebook at

The London Ontario Moped Gang cause there are folks in London and beyond who can help you :)

Bert Klein-Horsman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I believe it has wipac ignition. Another question,

> the switch in the headlamp, does that is that also

> a kill switch for the engine? (edited)

BOOM!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account