A35 Tinny sound. Clutch Rattle? Piston Slap?

About a month or 2 ago the pins on my 1st gear clutch exploded, causing me to replace the whole first gear. I got a used one that needed new cork, so I re-corked it following these instructions to make it last longer. Not sure if I should of done the same to the 2nd gear to balance the two out. But I rode it for a few days and it was running great, however I went on vacation and when I got back to riding my Tomos it starting making this Clanking sound. I have read about clutch rattle and piston slap, just curious what you guy thought before I actually open it up and start to investigate. Its all stock other than the exhaust.

Re: A35 Tinny sound. Clutch Rattle? Piston Slap?

sounds like bad rings/piston/bearings maybe something is loose in the exhaust? check the compression tell us what u got

I'd guess piston slap

Wrist pin bearing is toast.

download.jpg

You really need to check both upper and lower rod needle roller bearings

Piston Slap

A35 Tinny sound. Clutch Rattle? Piston Slap?

Alright, so I am guessing 70PSI isn't good compression. Guess I'll pull the head off tonight and check the rings, piston and bearings.

IMG_6085.JPG

Did you have the throttle open and kick til it stopped rising? Does that gauge have a schrader valve in the very tip screwing into the head? If not then it is reading falsely low.

I held the throttle open and kicked it for a good while, but the needle only went that far. Yes it did have a Schrader valve on the tip too

ephraim zimbalist jr /

air leak

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account