Gas Leak Problem

Hey Guys,

so I just got a Racing TT and have been loving it but I need some advice. When I initially bought the moped from Detroit Motor Works, we loaded it up in my car since that was the only way and I knew it would fit. The problem is it leaked gas. It was all in the luggage bay and inside my car. When I would brake my car on the ride home it would splash around and a little bit would come out of somewhere. When I called I was told it was fine. Anyways, I have been riding it now for almost a week and I love it but I just had a few questions after researching this topic here and other places.

I have to store my bike in my condo as of now which is small and I expect some smell, but there is a semi-strong smell of gas whenever I am standing near the bike. I check for leaks and there is really nothing there. I mean there is liquid on the outside of the bike...gas and oil. But I really can't tell if it's normal or not. It runs fine but when I start the bike and I don't open the throttle it dies right away. Even if I rev a few times and let it go it might die. Is that normal? Did I flood something? I feel like I flooded the engine or carb or something is wrong with the float bowl or needle. Am I just over thinking this?

Re: Gas Leak Problem

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

Aw, welcome to mopads.

Yeah so like in most cases, if the idle is set correctly and low or whatever, they will usually die until they are reasonably warm.

Since it's a 2 stroke, you can pretty much just ride it as soon as you start it. Letting the bike "warm up" isn't super necessary. I mean, don't go ape shit and rip to maximum speed on a cold engine, but it's ok to make it work a little bit as it warms up.

The gas smell is probably all the gas you spilled on it, ya dig?

P.S. welcome to mopads

Dany Antoon /

Hey, thanks for the welcome. I've been in a perpetual state of excitement ever since I discovered everything and especially since getting the bike, haha.

I figured that the smell was still from whatever spilled and was still drying up on the inside. The smell has gone down considerably especially after a 12 mile drive yesterday, so I hope if the air filter was saturated that it dried off. I just am wondering if anything is wrong with it...it kind of "sputters" in first gear like not really but you can feel it turning over like coming up to a stop sign and stuff. It somewhat freezes up if I only open the throttle up a little and it feels like the clutch like loosens up or something but but once it gets into second gear it is smooth.

Is that just a moped thing? I only ask because I was reading threads here and I saw a couple situations like that where they had similar issues. Just trying to make sure I don't kill my bike before I even break it in...sorry for the long responses.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Take a video if you want. That makes things super easy.

I REALLY doubt it's broken/breaking already. You may want to invest in a in-lb torque wrench and retorque the head though, especially on a newer motor. A loose head is probably what causes the most problems for me and mopeds tend vibrate various fasteners loose.

Did you lay the bike on its side when you put it in your car? If so, gas obviously spilled out of the carb.

Before you bring the bike inside, close the petcock and run the engine until it stops. If smell persists put a small plastic bag over the fuel cap to stop the vent fumes.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

Stephen Keller Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Before you bring the bike inside, close the

> petcock and run the engine until it stops.

I don't think this is a good idea. I've never really liked doing this because I think I can have a chance to damage the piston and other bits. Maybe I'm just being anal, but I definitely wouldn't do this on a modded bike; stock might be ok. I dunno

Ive never had a problem running carbs dry before putting my bike away. If I am thinking about it I will close the petcock a block out from home. When it starts to starve I kill the ignition.

Dany Antoon /

I did this on my way home from my first ride and it worked but like other guy said it feels wrong to do. Sorry if that sounds idiotic. I did lay it down on its side which sucks so that's basically my question is did flooding the carb make it perform worse now? I literally just got back from my cousins place as I helped him get the last pedal start racing TT at DMW and his seem to run way smoother than mine. Like his clutch is way more responsive and his engine doesn't kick st all. Mine is definitely kicking or so it feels like in first gear.

I'm probably over thinking it but I just don't want damage from the gas spill/overflow.

Charles McCusker /

Have you contacted DMW? If you are unsure if it's something you did versus maybe somethings inherently wrong with the bike, they'd probably take a look at it to make sure they didn't sell you something with an issue. they are pretty cool folks.

Ok throwing this out there but I havent owned a Tomos in several years and mine had an early "A52" version of your engine... but is it possible that youre not running the right amount of trans fluid? As in did the trans spill when you put it on its side? Trans fluid volume will affect shifting characteristics. (edited)

Dany Antoon /

Something did spill out when I took it out from my car, I thought it was oil...Is it possible for trans fluid to spill out like that? There is fluid in my car too that spilled from it being on its side.

Dany Antoon /

I was there today without my bike and I told him about what I thought happened but I didn't mention all the other fluid that came out I thought it was oil. But the other guy below says it could be trans fluid because it shifts kinda funny. Like it either kicks into gear or takes a while I dunno.

I think I'm gonna take it down there but the question now is how...I'm definitely not laying it down on its side.

I do it all the time,( run the engine out of fuel) never had an engine issue. Stock bikes though. (edited)

since this is your moped, and your on a repair forum id try to fix it yourself. not to be an ass but it saves time, and gas. what bike, carb, unless you stated it it a TT? Tough terrain? Top tank?

pat splat Wrote:

> unless you stated it it a TT? Tough terrain? Top

> tank?

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

pat splat Wrote:

> what bike, carb,

> unless you stated it it a TT? Tough terrain? Top

> tank?

Where have you been? Tomos just release a new line of 2017 bikes. The Racing TT is one of them.

Here is a link to the internet!

Yo dude, deep breath. You got this.

First step: find correct transmission fluid. It's like Type F, but you shouldn't trust every stranger on the internet. Confirm in your manual or call the shop you paid retail to. Unless you have a truck it's easier to do it yourself than take it back.

I drain transmission fluid and gas when the bikes goes in my car.

Second step: identify the fill and overflow holes on the transmission. Refer to manual or shop. Does your motor have an overflow?

I'm trying to point you in the right direction here so you can learn for yourself.

Third step: fill transmission to factory specs per manual.

Forth step: ride the bike and see if it behaves differently.

Extra credit: when you've got it going right again look into overfill mods- some people intentionally change the volume to manpulate the tune.

Good luck. I believe in you.

Dany Antoon /

You are the man. This is what I need. Thank you very much. I'll post a reply when I get this shit figured out.

Dany Antoon /

No you are right my good sir this is how I learn to operate this thing fully. It's a Tomos Racing TT with an A55 engine. I will be looking up how to drain/replace transmission fluid ASAP since that seems to be what it was? How does transmission fluid even fall out of the bike just because it is laid on it's side?

Vent/overflow hole.

Dany Antoon /

Hey man, I am going to try and replace the transmission fluid today. I took it out for a ride yesterday to better explain the situation and from what I can tell after riding my cousin's identical bike which is also new, his shifted way faster out of first gear. Mine takes almost 3 seconds sometimes and its trying hard and then it gets out of first gear. Also the throttle on the handlebar, like if I open the throttle a little bit it feels like it gives a little gas then poops out for a bit then restarts again. But if I open the throttle a little bit more, it engages just fine. What's wrong with my first gear? Is the clutch or transmission getting messed up because I'm running it without fluid or is something else wrong?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account