Tomos a35

Every time I try and push the bike forward when it's off it has to pump the piston. So the back wheel feels stuck. Any suggestions?

Re: Tomos a35

One or both of your clutches is stuck with the bell. Have you been able to look inside the transmission case?

Evan Woodward /

I got it for free and know nothing about it. The transmission was taken apart and in bags when I picked it up. What is the bell?

You have two centrifugal clutches inside a grey cylinder "bell" housing the clutches (are supposed to) spin free from the bell until rpms cause them to engage and push the wheel. You can look at these links which should hopefully help

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Tomos_A35_clutch_repair

Evan Woodward /

It seems like it spins free until it's touching the gears? Any ideas?

Evan Woodward /

Also the two gears spin like the are stuck together. In the video it looks like they should spin freely. Is this the problem?

no one of covfefe /

just part it out. take a bunch of pix

........or.......use the search button, and do a bunch of reading about A35.

wiki too

The gears connected to the clutch spin together, the other two spin at different speeds. Can you turn the clutch bell counterclockwise without the piston moving with it?

Evan Woodward /

Yes it turns counter clockwise without moving the piston. It is when I turn it clockwise it moves the piston. The problem I'm having trouble understand is if I try to push the bike or spin the tire forward when it's sitting there it has to push against the piston to move forward. So if you try to move it it feels like the rear wheel is locked up. If I take the clutch off the rear wheel spins freely.

Thanks again for the help!

Simon Belmont /

Here is a little compilation that I made explaining how Tomos transmission works.

(click on image to view its full size).

-

how-tomos-transmission.jpg

Evan Woodward /

What on this diagram would spin freely if I'm just pushing the bike around?

I get how it all goes together. It's just when you spin the back wheel forward it tries to push the whole transmission and pump the piston. Is there a part of it that is supposed to spin n freely without pumping the piston. Like if you ride it like a bike.

Simon Belmont /

Check and see if clutches (inside clutch-bell) are stuck in "engaged" position.

I remember back when I had pedal version of A35 Tomos I had similar problem when that little chain inside the transmission wasn't seated properly, you may also want to look into that. (edited)

Evan Woodward /

Nope they both spin freely? I'll take a video and post it sometime soon. Maybe you can see what I'm talking about.

Simon Belmont /

That's a good idea Evan, try and see if you can take that video with transmission side case off.

Evan Woodward /

I think the issue is the two middle gears thenclutch connects to. Every video I watch it looks like those can spin independent from each other. On my bike it feels like they are welded together?

Simon Belmont /

Ooh yes there's a small clip attached to those gears (like a metal staple) it could have broken off and got jammed in between the gears preventing them from moving freely.

Evan Woodward /

Is there anyway to pull them apart?

Simon Belmont /

Yes, I sent you a PM.

To open your personal messages, just follow this link:

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/pm.php?1,page=list,folder_id=inbox (edited)

Just take off the clutch bell and inspect it, then pull out the gears and have a look. You don't need to separate the crankcases to do this.

I'm thinking about that (god I can't remember the name of it) the little sleeve gear with a loop on it inside the peanut shaped hole. It's probably seized up?

This thing I'm talking about is on the output shaft on the larger internal chain sprocket. Should be right beside it.

Evan Woodward /

So what I found was the bigger gear on the crank shaft has chips in it in the back. When I was finally able to hammer both of the gears off of the shaft there was really fine chunks under the big one making it stuck? Not sure if friction melted it but it looks like it got melted metal in it.

Evan Woodward /

The dark spots on the gear around the hole the shaft slides in are the missing chunks that wear ground underneath it.

image.jpg
IMG_0222.JPG

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Hey I think that's the problem.

For reference it is the Kickstarter cage

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account