Qt50, wheel running backwards

I picked up a "81 qt50 last week of a young fella, he has messed around with it. The problem is the motor runs ok, but the rear wheel runs in reverse.

The fly wheel rotates the same way as the arrow shows. I have no idea what's going on as I've never had a moped before, it's a long term project as I don't get a lot of free time.

If anyone can help that would be great.

Re: Qt50, wheel running backwards

Does it rev out?

Put head light where tail light is and vise Versa!

Sounds like a rally loaner candidate :p

Jack Rutherford /

that's been covered here before on a different ped. I just can't remember the solution. try searching the site.

perhaps magneto installed the wrong way or its wiring is messed up? Of course, I'm not sure how you could install magneto the wrong way. It may be possible. Take off the cover near the kickstart (3 bolts) and see what's up under there. (edited)

Had a bit of a look this morning, kick starter turns flywheel clock wise then when motor fire's up it turns counter clock wise.

sheared keyway blah blaha

Take off the flywheel and look straight on at the end of the crank shaft to see if the keyway slots line up.

Key way lines up,something funny going on with timing?

I Seen this on a Tomos before

Check the stator plate..is it loose ?

Timing is Way off

Stator plate is non adjustable so you must have sheared the key...

John Pillinger /

Sheared flywheel key, probably from someone attempting to remove the flywheel without the puller tool (which is super cheap)

I pray to God you didn't buy this guy's qt50...

John Pillinger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sheared flywheel key, probably from someone

> attempting to remove the flywheel without the

> puller tool (which is super cheap)

>

> I pray to God you didn't buy this guy's qt50...

>

>

Thanks for the good laugh^^^^

Boy did he ass that thing up.

Had a look yesterday, it's doing the same as that video. Timing is so far out it's not funny. Flywheel key looks ok but then again I've never seen one before.

In attachment, mark on crank is tdc and the mark on the flywheel is where it needs to be to get the motor to run in the right direction. Any ideas?

IMG_20160918_214612.jpg

How did you remove flywheel??

Pictures of key and keyway on crank and flywheel??

Dirty30 Dillon /

Having never seen under the covers of a QT, the only thing I can think is they put the coils on in reverse order, or something of that nature

It came with a flywheel puller, will do pictures soon

John Pillinger /

If you install the charge coil incorrectly, it won't affect timing.

Now an incorrectly installed pulse coil, that could do it

All coils on the QT are fixed, there is no adjustable timing. sounds like the CDI has been incorrectly wired or swapped with a different unit to me, but if the arrow follows rotation then something else is up, do you have a pic of the bike?

In case anyone is following this old thread... I had the same problem with one that I recently purchased... I noticed that the connector to the stator only had 3 wires on the stator side of the plug and 4 wires on the other side of the plug... so I went on ebay and found a used stator with 4 wires on the plug plus the one coil wire... put it all back together and Viola - it actually started on the 2nd kick!

Not sure if the stator that was on there was the wrong one or if it was just a bad coil... but it seemed like someone put the wrong one on...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account