1983 Honda nu50 Urban express starter Help!?!

Please help!! I have a 1983 Nu50 Express and it doesn't have the starter motor. Instead, it has a stopper block off plate I was wondering since it has the same frame as the model up that has the starter if I could just plug and play. It looks like the starter can go where the block off plate is going in from the back of the stator cover. Can anyone give me an answer??? Thanks!!

Re: 1983 Honda nu50 Urban express starter Help!?!

Some electrical components as well as the battery are different in the kickstart NU50 vs. electric start NU50m models. You can see it all in the wiring diagram at the bottom of the manual (i think it's linked in the wiki?)

Captain Janeway /

Mike Boyd Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Some electrical components as well as the battery

> are different in the kickstart NU50 vs. electric

> start NU50m models. You can see it all in the

> wiring diagram at the bottom of the manual (i

> think it's linked in the wiki?)

Check manual. There are wiring diagrams for the NU50 and NU50M. Wiring's different.

To answer your question though, yes you can physically mount the starter.. if you can ever find one. They aren't that easy to get.

NU50M uses a larger battery. Will the NU50 battery be up to the task????

Probably but there is a reason they did it..

Thanks everyone!! Ive been using this website for info for years now and am so impressed and grateful for the quick responses. I swapped the battery so it should handle the charge.? i found a starter motor for an nu50 on eBay and am wondering if i could just pop that sucker on and cross the wires or put a switch. I agree there is a reason they did it!! Truth fully I'm unsure if i would have to wire it to the stator or how the wiring would go..I don't even understand how that all works.. thanks again and hope everyone is good and everyone enjoys their weekend.

yea it looks like it would fit. Thanks DPC Ryan! I am just unsure on how it works and what to do with the wires..

Captain Janeway /

do you have right side handle with starter button, regulator, etc.

Ryan, wouldn't it need the wiring harness from an NU50M along with the other parts?

I do not have the starter button Captain..i haven't seen a regulator either..:/

I have the rectifier its black with 2 prongs.

You will need some sort of switch and the starter relay to handle the current flowing from the battery. A simple switch may or may not be able to handle the current and would possibly burn up. You will need to check the current capacity of the switch you choose.

Otherwise no other wiring from the NU50M would be needed. The battery is larger but the charge from the stator is not any stronger. Unless you really wanted the ignition and rear brake switch to also have control over your starter wiring it is technically completely separate from the other systems of the bike.

Captain Janeway /

Chris if you get it going, post it up or PM me. I'd be curious as to how you did it. I have a non-running NU50 that might be fun to try with. I have 2 NU50M. Great little bikes.

Ryan, I can get the starter, the starter relay and a switch but I don't know how to connect it. I know a pigtail comes from the starter made up of two wires which I'm assuming would have to do with the starter relay then the switch and the battery. Then Im lost..

Wiring a relay is pretty simple. The starter motor does not have a built in solenoid on it which makes it even simpler. The trigger source is whatever switch you decide to use to fire the starter. The starter motor has two leads, one positive to the relay, and the other can either be frame grounded or ran back to the negative on the battery.

Where does the starter go? Does it take the place if the block off plate? If ao how does it start anything? Thanks Ryan.

image.jpeg

Hey Captain where is the starter motor located on the nu50m?

Captain Janeway /

where that block plate next to the alternator is. read the shop manual. In the electrical section it shows the layout of the starter motor for the NU50M.

I think the manual's in the wiki, if not, google

Ok I gotta get the parts...two weeks haha... Ive had my Honda for 7 years and the kickstart gears never sat right, the stopper plate messed up and finally a gear tooth from the spindle broke. After years of working around it Its to the point where I rather drillstart it. I considered the pull start but I emailed treats and they told me their kit won't fit my "weird inverted style flywheel and stator system". Its my only transportation so I appreciate the help!!

image.jpeg

Captain Janeway /

I'm just curious, how are you drill starting this thing? Photo?

The weirdest thing that happened on my main rider was having the variator bushing disintegrate and the wobbling blow a belt apart and brass dust all over the case cover. It shaved 2 mm of that brass bushing apart.

At this point I have a donorcycle for parts.

Seriously, post up how you fix it. I might want to try it on my NU50

You cant drill start the bike without putting a hole through the belt cover. Trying to do it through a hole on the stator cover would loosen the nut.

A pull start wouldn't work for two reasons. The stator coils are outboard of the flywheel on the NU, and the engine spins opposite of all the popular pocket bike pull starts that people have adapted. You would have to once again rig up something fairly custom to the belt side of the engine.

Impact gun the 17mm on the driver pulley.. On the belt side..

Thanks DPC Ryan.. THe pull start is disqualified unfortunately! Does the starte motor gear hit the flywheel gear is that how it works??

Yes

Looks like the nx50 and the nu50 share a starter pinion and the starter looks similar as well. Would i be able to retrofit an nx50 starter? Otherwise im searching for a starter motor!

The starter is the same.

Ok Thanks DPC Ryan!

you need a flywheel with the teeth for the starter too grab onto right? or is the stock one fine?

Stock regular one has teeth.(edited)

Hey Ryan I dont see any teeth! I was about to install it when i noticed That!! Heres the pics.. What do i do!!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account