87 suzuki fa50 disassembly - speedo cable

Thomas Dakan /

A friend gave me an 87 suzuki fa50 to play with and its been declining to start so I figured I would clean the carb and see where that got me. Unfortunately I'm stumped before I even have the carb off. I have a copy of an owner's/maintenance manual that describes how to pull the motor and transmission off of the frame. There's one cable that connects them that it doesn't mention though. I believe it's probably the speedometer cable since it's connected to the transmission, not the carb. Any direction on disconnecting it would be greatly appreciated!

Tom

Re: 87 suzuki fa50 disassembly - speedo cable

The speedo connects to the front wheel.

Take a picture of what your talking about because your not making any sense.

Thomas Dakan /

I just put it back together enough for it to stay upright overnight and can't get a good angle for a picture, but I went out and looked at it again. The wire is coming off back side of the the magneto case. So it's probably actually power to the battery and rest or the wiring. Which makes way more sense.

I'm still not sure how to get it disconnected though. There's a boot where it enters the case for the generator. Do I need to pull it back through the frame from the seat? I'll take another look at the manual and try to answer my own question. I probably just need to sleep on it.

Look under the gas tank for a wiring harness plug.

Thomas Dakan /

So it does need to be pulled down through the frame and then fished back up to reassemble? I just didn't want to go there if it wasnt the right answer since the manual doesn't mention it.

Thanks for your help

The service manual shows the plug on page 30, "Engine Removal/Installation." It's number 4.

So yeah, you have to pull the harness out of the frame.

But why would you remove the engine to get to the carb? It's all of two bolts and takes less than five minutes to do with a 10mm openend wrench. Your making things way harder for yourself than they need to be.

^ what axeziak said 10 mm and 5 mins. Clean the exhaust and exhaust port. That usually restores lost power on mine.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account