Tank rust.

What's the best way to remove rust in your gas tank?

Re: Tank rust.

Read the WIKI

i used white vinegar for a couple days then washed around with nuts and bolts. also i have used some rust dissolver that i got at an autopart store which worked very well, also with the nuts and bolts shaking around. i rinsed out with water then used alcohol to remove water then tank sealer to protect it

I recommend Metal Rescue, a little pricey, but if your tank is clear of any oil or gas, it takes off every speck of rust and doesn't hurt paint. Worked great on mine, but the tank had some oil left in it and the oil kept the stuff from working

Irish Manson /

Thanks for the help this will be my weekend project

Is it just rusty or does it have varnish/gum in it? Also, how quickly you want it done...if not in a hurry and it's just rust, I will fill it with apple cider vinegar, drain it and strain it once a day for 3 or 4 days(if pretty bad - never worked on a tank with just a bit of pitting). Then I'll do a cycle of pretty dirty evaporust, then another of clean evaporust. It's all reusable so I have two gallons of vinegar, two gallons of older evaporust and one gallon of clean stuff. I only use the clean stuff once it's rust free, it acts like a sealer and will stop it from flash rusting. Then I'll use red coat when I'm good and ready for it.

The vinegar is like $4-5 a gallon,, the evaporust is like $28 for a gallon but you can use a 20% off coupon from harbor freight and the red coat is like $25-30 off eBay for a quart which is good for up to a 5 gallon tank.

If the tank is really gummy, I'd actually put gas or pint thinner in first, then flush it with water - then start the above cycles. I jacked up my two gallons of evaporust tryna clean out of a tank that was super gummy - so now I use it as a in between cycle. Maybe a bit overkill but whatever.

Irish Manson /

The shop I took it to the other day said it was flooded. Something with the carb float and a tiny piece of rust came out the carb. It started right up in the shop and ran fine all the way home now it wolnt start again. Really frustrating me to the point of wanting to sell it or trade for a different moped. It never seems to want to start right with me.

Get an inline fuel filter no matter what. - what kind of carb? The Bing has a tiny filter in the Bango that not everyone knows about.

^ that can clog easily.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Clean the tank, it's really not that difficult or involved.

Heck, use a hose to get most of the loose stuff out, white vinegar (much cheaper than apple cider vinegar) and salt, repeatedly drain every day, rinse with baking soda and water mix, run denatured alcohol through it, than mixed gas and ride.

Don't give up, carb cleaning is common small engine maintenance. Clean and flush the tank, Clean the petcock, use a good inline filter, clean the whole carb out well and you should be good to go.

Irish Manson Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Really frustrating me to the

> point of wanting to sell it or trade for a

> different moped. It never seems to want to start

> right with me.

Irish Manson /

I have a in line fuel filter. I'll post a picture here in a few mins

Irish Manson /

Mine takes straight gas. Has oil injection system

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account