Mystery voltage comes and goes at the Puch Maxi taillight.

First off, thanks for all the help. Great Forum!

So the only non-functioning thing left on the Puch Maxi is the taillight (the running light, not the brakelight.)

At idle I see about 4 to 5 AC volts in the bulb socket. But when I put a known good bulb in the socket it doesn't light. So I figured I may have bad contacts in the socket. I cleaned the contacts and gave them a little extra bend to insure good metal-to-metal contact with the bulb but got the same results.

So next I actively monitored the 4-ish volts going to the socket and I found that as soon as the bulb is inserted the voltage at the socket goes to zero.

As I sit here thinking about it, either the coil used to generate power for the taillight has a problem, or the gray wire-to-gray wire connector block is so highly resistive that it looks okay when the bulb is out but when the bulb goes in the voltage drops across the terminal block instead of the bulb filament.

Is there something else I should be looking at?

I can pull out the gray wires out of the block and twist them together to make a no-resistance connection, but what if it seems that the coil is bad. Is this a difficult thing to replace?

If the coil is bad, I am thinking to parallel the taillight off the yellow horn power wire. The horn works so I know that coil can delivery power and the horn is rarely used. Does anyone know of a reason why that would be inadvisable?

Jim(edited)

Re: Mystery voltage comes and goes at the Puch Maxi taillight.

Overpriced Parts /

Are you using the correct 5w 6v bulb?

The horn don't use any lighting coils it goes through the ignition/ignition coil that's why it's louder and higher sounding when going your going faster.

It's easy to check the continuity of the coil the running light coil is the smallest/thinnest wire 5w coil that has gray wire

image.jpeg

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply.

I am sure I have a 6-volt bulb, but I am not sure it is 5-watts. It's the bulb that came with the Puch to me, but it was never working. I think I know what you are implying, that the bulb could be so high a wattage that the coil can't feed it enough power.

I have a bench top power supply, so I suppose I could feed the bulb 5-volts DC and look at the ammeter to determine the wattage of the bulb.

I will check the continuity of the coil. Is the other side of the coil grounded?

If the coil is bad I will order another, although I still think I could steel 5-watts of power from the horn circuit since it's fairly unused.

If the coil is good I will order the correct wattage bulb (if my bench top supply indicates the one I have is higher wattage) and see if that lights up.

You've given me some things to try. Thanks for that.

Jim

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

The horn works thru the ground side of the ignition. It's not like a typically powered accessory. Where are you grounding your meter when you checked the voltage? Don't assume you have a good ground circuit at the tail light. Try using a jumper wire to supply ground to it from a good ground and see if it lights. If that is no help, jumper the power wire from the terminal block directly to the tail light.

Wesley Stewart /

Did you ever find out what was going on? I picked up a 7u maxi for $50 a couple of weeks ago and the engine was locked up. I've now gotten it running and am replacing things that need to be replaced. I'm having the same exact issue, I even went and bought a 6v 5w bulb and stuck it in there and no light. I tested with the bulb in and the bolts drop below 1v but without the bulb it reads around 5v. All the other lights work great.

Dan (high idle) Conway /

Jim make sure it’s a 5 watt bulb, today I accidentally stuck a 6v10w in the socket and got barely anything even at high rpms. Stuck the 5w in and glowed realllll good

> Jim Franzen Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Ken,

>

> Thanks for the reply.

>

> I am sure I have a 6-volt bulb, but I am not sure it is 5-watts. It's

> the bulb that came with the Puch to me, but it was never working. I

> think I know what you are implying, that the bulb could be so high a

> wattage that the coil can't feed it enough power.

>

> I have a bench top power supply, so I suppose I could feed the bulb

> 5-volts DC and look at the ammeter to determine the wattage of the bulb.

>

> I will check the continuity of the coil. Is the other side of the coil

> grounded?

>

> If the coil is bad I will order another, although I still think I could

> steel 5-watts of power from the horn circuit since it's fairly unused.

>

> If the coil is good I will order the correct wattage bulb (if my bench

> top supply indicates the one I have is higher wattage) and see if that

> lights up.

>

> You've given me some things to try. Thanks for that.

>

> Jim

Make sure the head light is the correct voltage and wattage too

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account