Re: A question about air filters

dpfe as transducer, nice.

Bad Cadillac™ /

Nice testing! That's the only way to tell, flow test or dyno all these filters.

I still might get one of these mesh filters but change the hose out to one that's not crappy like the one that comes with the filter and reviews say fall apart.

Bad Cadillac™ /

Wonder what a K&N filter from Treats for example will flow? Like the Napa?

I know with my mesh filter, you can see daylight through it at a couple of points with it. (edited)

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

I did some more filter flow testing with a 12mm Bing in place this time. Naturally the 12mm Bing was the big restriction right from the start, which was no shocker. The base line voltage went from 2.17v without the bing to 2.49v with it. Although all of the filters responded progressively as they did in the first test without the bing, none of them actually showed to improve flow, like the metal mesh and the napa oil filter did in the first test.

All of them showed a slight bit of restriction. All were basically within 5/100's of a volt from one extreme to the other, but if you watch closely, you will notice fluctuations of 2-3 hundredths while a filter is left undisturbed. Wtf...

I really thought we would see the metal mesh increase flow again, only this time through the bing, but it didn't happen.

Double Trouble Dan /

Just made this up tonight . uni-pod filter and 5/8 heater hose.

I am not sure how it will work.

IMG_20160505_211951.jpg

I'll flow test a piece of 5/8" tomorrow. Looks to be maybe 5-6" long.

I might see how things rate with my 15 Bing clone too. If the 15 pulls numbers down in the 2.25v range, we'll know the filter plays a much more predominate role on a 15 than it does on a 12. (edited)

Hell of a stretch, but after getting a 6" piece of 5/8" hose on the 1mm bing, it flowed at about 2.51v, and a 6" piece of 3/4" that fit real nice flowed at 2.50v, just 1 click above our baseline of 2.49v with no filter.

After a little careful measuring and hacking of a transmission funnel, i carved out a somewhat long velocity stack and attached the metal mesh filter element on the end of it and it actually increased flow. Yay. 2.46v. I'm going to put it on my Cobra and hopefully it stops raining some time this weekend. Hell, i might have to upjet. :)

image.jpg

Probably Fred /

You could make any abomination you want to.

The simple $14 filter as it is jets in perfect for a clean crisp jetting throughout the range, better then no filter, all other filters like foam or different abominations don't, that's all that matters.

K&N type filters are best. Polini space filter for phbg is ok too even though it's foam because it's a thin layer and has a big surface area.

Andrew Squiggman /

Ken likes the word "Abomination".

Thanks for your words of encouragement ken. I'm glad to see you fully understand what i'm doing and following right along. You inspired me to Obamanate another tranny funnel with a different taper in search of even greater improvements to flow. The sacrifices of research and development.

Even if this one shows no improvement, it'll at least sound 10 times faster.

I call it The Abominator.

image.jpg

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█ /

Keep doing this, plumber!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account