hobbit lacks power

Eoban Binder /

What's wrong with my Hobbit? Used to do 30-35 mph all day, suddenly started topping out at 15 mph, and low-end power is gone.

Near-stock '78 PA50I -> PA50II conversion ('II' jug, intake, carb, ramp plate). Only other modifications are air filter, MLM sidebleed, 1.5k Dio springs, and drilled-out 'II' rollers, all of which it ran just fine with previously. Timing is spot-on the 'F' mark on the flywheel. Compression is ~150 psi. Jetted at 80.

I must be missing something simple, but I'm running out of ideas here.

Re: hobbit lacks power

Kiel the Canuck /

Could be a leak at the crank seals. My hobbit came to me because the seal behind the clutch blew out and caused a lean seize while the previous owner let his kids fuck around on it.

What ideas have you ruled out and how?

An air leak could can be tested with carb cleaner or by checking plug color. It could be a restricted fuel flow. It also may not be the engine at all. Your belt could be stretching or slipping. Check your wheels, Your brakes could be rubbing, maybe a bearing problem or anything else the could prevent the wheels from spinning freely.

sookia sookia /

it's probably a vespa

Eoban Binder /

Good ideas guys. I suspect crank seal is the hardest to check for sure.

Already checked for air leaks and there appear to be none. I'll swap a different belt on tonight and check the brakes/wheels.

variator sticking?

George Cruz /

prob the bearings or the crank seals. or check the trans.

Stephen Keller Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> variator sticking?

If a hobbit tops out at 15-17, thats the magic number for a stuck vario....

just get a tjt and go faster.

sookia sookia /

^happened to me....can confirm 15 to 17

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account