PW50 parts on QT50

I have a 1979 QT50 I've been working on for a while. Things were going well, replaced some parts and got the carb rebuilt and the fuel petcock working and then I lost spark. I had it before and now it's gone. I need to replace the charge coil I think.

I feel it's easier to just replace the whole stator assembly and I found one for the PW50 on Ebay for a decent price.

Does anyone see why I couldn't use this part? And am I correct in assuming that replacing this part should fix the spark issues if that was indeed the problem?

Link here: LINK

Re: PW50 parts on QT50

You should invest in a $5 multimeter before you start part chucking.

Luke Vidacovich /

I have a multimeter - tell me what I need to be looking for please. The manual I have assumes you have the yamaha multimeter and it only gives pass/fail, not actual values. I would really appreciate the help.

The manual reads:

Pulser coil (W/R) 20 ohms +/- 10%

Charge coil (B/R) 295 ohms +/- 10%

Luke Vidacovich /

Any clue which wires those are that I'm looking for? And I assume that these readings are at idle - not running, just checking resistance correct?

Thank you for the help.

Charge coil for sure. No the pw50 has a different lighting coil. Lots of post here on this. But the pw50 charge coil will work on the QT50.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xpw50+charge+coil.TRS0&_nkw=pw50+charge+coil&_sacat=0 (edited)

Don't test resistance of the coil while your bike is on, you will blow the fuse in your ohm-meter

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account