Honda Urban Express NU50 Kickstart Issue

Hey Everyone,

I have a 1983 Honda Urban Express (NU50) that has kickstart problems. Basically, I lined up the dots, I have the arrow on the drive spindle facing towards the front and I secure the case. I go to kick start it and the gears come loose again. It's almost as if there is no tension holding them together. The spring seems fine and has tension. I am lost - why does it keep popping out of alignment? Is the arrow facing the correct way? All the bushings are there too. Thanks for your ideas.

Re: Honda Urban Express NU50 Kickstart Issue

You say the bushings are there but I would question that, be sure to check on the backside too. Those gears don't wiggle when they are in and have no way to slip past each other.

I checked and they are there - both sides. That being said, I am wondering if the arrow is facing the correct way. Anyone know? I know the repair manual says facing toward drive gear - but then I have seen a post that says the arrow should point up.

Arrow points towards the crankshaft, not any drive gear.

Thanks! I'l give it another try

Captain Janeway /
IMG_20151105_1246110981.jpg
IMG_20151105_1245487031.jpg

See if these help. You can see the arrow direction clearly in the angled shot

Your retainer clip isn't even in the notch.

Is it critical to align the dots on the kick pedal itself? What about the instructions that say push the pedal down 15% and tighten casing. I havent done that yet and wonder if that could be the issue as well.

Dots yes, 15% no.

Captain Janeway /

Ryan

You're right. Posted the "before" picture while I was working on it. Good catch!

Debra LAMPSHIRE /

Are you missing a C clip?

> Debra LAMPSHIRE Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Are you missing a C clip?

You are asking a question on a 4.5 year old thread . ;)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account