Yamaha QT50 Help

jered piencikowski /

I'm freshening up a Yammy QT50 that ran fine last year. Battery is good, plug is good, carb is clean. Can't get it to stay running, and once it does start it winds up past "red line". Can only get it started by holding my fingers in front of the intake on the carb. Air filter is M.I.A. Is there any way to get it started without the filter? Gonna spend some time in the garage tonight, any ideas?

Re: Yamaha QT50 Help

Check to make sure the throttle cable didnt get stuck. Look into the carb air intake and make sure everything goes all the way back down when you let go of the hand throttle. It's happened to me a couple times. Easy fix.

Also, get another air filter or up jet

jered piencikowski /

Thanks for the feedback. I opened up the carb and made sure the throttle valve was free of debris and pulling smooth. The bike now starts, idles and drives. But I can only give it 1/4 throttle. Even once I get up to speed if I open it up all the way, it bogs out and dies.

Well if you have no air filter you're way to lean, so basically pure sucking in wayyyyy more air than you need. You really need an air filter, if you haven't upjetted.

So, you have three options:

1. Run no air filter and upjet (don't recommend)

2. Get a stick air filter and don't upjet (easiest)

3. Get a K&N or UNI filter and upjet (best performance)

Jack Rutherford /

Pull your spark plug and see if you are running lean or rich.

Brent Bublitz /

OK, so you are running lean. Most certainly. You need to get a filter on there or upjet the jet in the carb to compensate.

When you opened up the carb, did you also clean out the jet adn all the passages in the carb?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account