hobbit only runs w/ choke

.hey guys I've run into an issue with my hobbit. all of a sudden it doesn't want to stay running unless the choke is on. it dies as soon as I switch it off. sometimes I can get it running long enough to go for a ride, it still hits 30mph and seems fine until I stop at a light or whatever, then it dies again or bogs down hard when I accelerate from a stop. just wondering if anyone knows what's up, i know I should go through the Carb but it has only around 100 miles since it was rebuilt. and I've never touched a Carb before so I'm a bit reluctant. also has new fuel lines and fuel filter too. if it makes any difference the ped never idled perfect. sometimes I'd have to tap the throttle after a min or 2. any help would be truely appreciated (edited)

Re: hobbit only runs w/ choke

Clogged fuel filter, dirty carb or air leak.

ryan partlow /

went out to play with it again and now it wont even start. no difference between choke being on/off only "runs" if I keep* peddling. even put fresh gas in to no avail. I can't figure out what happened since getting the ped I've been starting it and yard driving it 2-3 times a week with no issues until today.

Check to see if you have spark.

ryan partlow /

i took the fuel system apart today, the reason it wouldnt start was because it was clogged with rust at the petcock. so i cleaned everything out from the tank to the carb and had a friend clean the actual carb for me which wasnt very dirty at all, she starts in half a pedal now but still wont idle. choke on/off makes no difference. took her for a ride still hits 30mph, rides fine but just wont idle.

im not sure what to do next the spark plug is brand new, getting plenty of fuel now, compression was good. could it possibly be a timing or idle mixture issue? i tried turning the screws by the carb i think they're the air/fuel screws, maybe i did it wrong? its difficult to try to set the idle when the bike wont idle at all no matter what. i also checked the air filter it looked fine but ill clean it tomorrow anyway.

almost forgot to mention the old spark plug was very black. im not using too much oil ive been running 40:1 (edited)

Turning in the screw ( clockwise) should make it idle higher.If your plug is really black you are running too rich.You can try to run 50:1 ratio.It may be possible that your jet is too high.What size jet is in the carb? (edited)

ryan partlow /

there was 2 screws i turned them both all the way in, all the way out, halfway, 1/4 way, 3/4 way, nothing made it want to idle at all. its also kind of difficult setting the idle when you need to give it throttle the entire time to keep it going.

the plug was really black so i put in 50:1 i think it was around 40:1 before. also put in a brand new plug. its a stock carb with stock jet. entire bike is 100% stock if that makes a difference.

i think my next step is do a plug chop see if its still running rich after everything ive messed with so far. does anyone think it could be a timing issue? i thought about setting the points but i couldnt find any good walkthroughs online (edited)

barney gierer /

Look in the wiki. Hobbit carbs need special attention when cleaning.theres a fuel pasage that is hard to clean.

ryan partlow /

carb was cleaned just before i got it. i dont know much about carbs so i had someone at work take it off to clean it when it wasnt starting and he said it looked brand new but he cleaned it some more anyway. and the spark plug was black and moist so wouldnt that mean its probably getting enough fuel? maybe even too much? it also rides beautifully besides not idling. im sure you guys know more than i do i just dont think going through the carb for the 3rd time in the past <100 miles is gonna help my idle but ill try it if you guys think its the problem.

also, does anyone know how far turned the air/fuel screws should be approximately on a stock hobbit. for example if i start with them all the way tightened how far should i loosen them? im just looking for a basic idea because i dont think a plug chop will do me much good if my screws are all out of whack. online everyone says just turn them until it idles well but it doesnt idle so thats not an option. (edited)

barney gierer /

Good luck

It is not a timing issue .Your bike will still idle if the timing is off.Is is something to do with fuel ratio or carb being dirty.It could be your float is not set correct.Next time you clean the carb check your float,also pit am inline fuel filter on the fuel line that may solve the problem.

You said it had a dark plug,and you said you tested for air leaks.It could be a seal but I am not sure if your plug would be black if it had an air leak like that.You said it had a dirty tank so my guess would be to try to clean the carb again.And put an inline fuel filter on so it doesn't cloge the carb again.

Double Trouble Dan /

carb is still not clean.

read this and try again.

You might be able to remove the idle and mixture screws and blow fluid through them , but better off removing the whole thing and doing it right which means removing the welch plug and blowing clean all the idle and air passages.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Honda_PA_Carburetor_/_Fuel

dip the carb so all tiny passages will get cleaned.

If you are tires of messing around then just get into it. No need to fear the carb, just review the wiki for the carb cleaning and be surgically anal about cleaning the carb.

Give your engine a leakdown test to see if the seals or gaskets are leaking.

Take off the carb and give it a cleaning yourself, someone cleaning it before you got it you rely on perhaps them missing something.

Check the static timing for the ignition.

Good reference reading is Fred's guide: grab a beverage and sit somewhere and read it all, it will give you insight into what is happening with your bike this time and next time.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Fred%27s_Guide

ryan partlow /

i was hoping to stay away from the carb due to not having anywhere indoors to work on the bike (temp lately has been about 10-30 degrees f) and lack of tools but i guess thats what im going to do next. the guy i bought the ped from already had an inline filter and it looks really clean surprisingly considering rust was blocking about 90% of the fuel line right before the petcock.

this got me thinking i forgot to check one place in the fuel line for clogs, right before the fuel line meets the filter it gets a bit skinnier, perfect place for a clog. but i dont think that explain why my plugs are so dark. i guess ill check back in after i take the carb apart!

A blockage will not allow you to ride the bike and ONLY kill the idle. You would have problems all over but more specifically while riding. The carb is the menace. I have gone through it and so have many many others. It's not just the fuel passages, but the air passages as well. I found crud in an air passage on my fourth cleaning in two days. Was a black and white kind of difference.

If you had rust stuck in the petcock then you have rust stuck in the jets and passageways of the carb too. Clean the tank (check the wiki on this topic) and also overhaul your carb and clean everything- pay attention to detail when doing this. When you put it back together make sure to add a fuel filter if there isn't one already. I would recommend a see-through one so you can see if any debris is still coming from the tank. (edited)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account