Oil line came out on the ride home.. Am I doomed?

Matthew Hicks /

I JUST got my urban express running today, with help from here of course. Tonight on the way home from a short ride the motor suddenly died on me when we got up close to 30 and almost sent me flying.. I was in traffic and excited so I just kicked her back up and kept riding. All was well and good in the world until I got back up to about thirty going downhill, when she locked up again and DID send me flying this time. Luckily for me it was wet and raining and cold, so I got to take an epic slide down the hill I was on.. I survived and so did my jeans, and somehow so did my engine. I kicked it up yet again and drove the rest of the way home and then saw that there was oil all over the carb and the line was out. I guess I luckily avoided a true hard seize, but I did run the bike about a mile after it happened the first time, and restarted it three times.. Is there damage done in there that's going to surface soon? It's been running fine since I plugged the oil line back in, feels good, gets up to speed, no weird noises. Everything I read online points to my engine quiting someday in my near future because of this. Someone tell me I got lucky and everything is gonna be ok, it was literally the second time riding the damn thing.. And I already have parts on the way from treats lol

Re: Oil line came out on the ride home.. Am I doomed?

Probably Fred /

Yes damage pull cylinder and inspect

Matthew Hicks /

Ay yi yi, I'll check it out tomorrow. Hopefully it's not too bad.

Matthew Hicks /

Iv never got that deep into the motor, advice?

I can't believe you got on and continued riding after it almost bucked you the first time and then tossed you off the second time1

Matthew Hicks /

My house was 100 yards away and we took it slow

Probably Fred /

Ya not just piston/cylinder damage but possible crank and bearing damage .

2 stroke Oil lubricates the whole engine not just piston and cylinder

Matthew Hicks /

I mean I rode it around a bit after I put the oil line back in and it seemed totally fine.. But I'll check it out when I have some sunlight and time tomorrow. How much is this gonna run me most likely? I'm amazed I managed to do so much damage in less than 24 hours of having it running

You have likely damaged the rings and/or cylinder in your haste to get the thing going without being sure it was roadworthy. Even if it runs, it is hurt. If you could salvage the stock cylinder a new piston will run you 50-60 dollars, but if there is scoring to the walls of the jug, a kit is going to sit you at about 150 shipped AND YOU BETTER FUCKING JET THE CARB.

Matthew Hicks /

I was just reading that if the damage was just some light scratching I can sand it down.. And that's what I'm gonna hope for. I'm not sure what I'd do if Pistons need to be replaced. Hasty and stupid got me stuck for longer! I suppose I'd just get a kit in that instance except then that tends to lead to having to shell out more dough for appropriate carb and intake and pipe.. I'm a chronically broke college student, but Im dying to get this thing running. At the very least I'll rebuild it over the rest of the [florida] winter with stock the stock piston. I'll be good and patient this time around. Also needless to say I'll be removing the injector and switching to pre-mix

when disassembling the cylinder from the engine try to remove any dirt/mud/oily crap round it so it dose not end up in the assembly so you don't end up having to meticulously the internal parts. the head gasket is re useable if you anneal it or use "copper form-o-gasket" on both sides of the gasket. the base gasket is made of a card Bord like material and will need to be replaced so you will have to order a new one or buy gasket paper at an auto parts store and make your own gasket. while you are at it inspect for excessive carbon build up in the exhaust port. the carbon build up reduces flow and makes the ped slow, it can be removed by solvents or by scraping it with a flat blade screw driver. further more inspect the cylinder head for carbon, remove the carbon with dish washing powder and a green scrubbing pad, if it is really thick carbon i use sand paper but some people don't recommend it. if you know how to remove piston rings from the piston with out braking them you should do so and see if they have developed thin spots. thin spots usually occur opposite to the side of the ring gap and or around where it would come into contact with the exhaust port. thin spots are bad, they are the point where the ring would snap in half in the future. based on your detailed description more than likely you have "soft seized" the engine meaning due to the lack of lubrication the friction generated enough heat for the metal to expand and tempereraly locking the parts in place.

Matthew Hicks /

Alright, thanks for the info. I'll go ahead and check all that out, chalk it up to a learning experience. I just didn't realize how steep the learning curve is on your first project... still excited to get her good and up to speed.

A kit does not require a new carb/intake. Jets are available for the carb (only up to 96 though) and you can rejet your stock parts to handle it. However with a kit/pipe I did find the 96 to be on the smaller limit and would have preferred to drill the jet a tiny bit larger.

i have Ben working on peds since i was 12. i have had 2 honda nc50s, 2 honda nu50s (i still have one), 1 fa50, a track50 (off brand)

a puch magnum xk, a puch maxi . i still have a nu50 and the maxi

these are the reasons people say "run premix" and "disconnect oil injector"

because there's just so many little things that could go wrong, and they're so catastrophic when they do.

Seems like you got lucky, it'll probably continue running, you could reconnect the injector or drain it and run pre-mix gas (advisable)

there will likely be less power now that you've probably scored it up a bit, lowering compression, but might still be usably OK

don't SAND anything, you can use a brake hone on the inside of the cylinder, you can sand grooves off the piston, you can cut/scrape melted metal out of the ringland too and make sure the rings seat snug but can also move/not get stuck.

getting a kit, do some research. the stockoshocko and 77 cast iron kits are more work and crappy and nearly worthless. DR is the best all around value, performance and reliability. you don't need a new carb, you definitely will want a pipe, and you DO need to upjet.

Matthew Hicks /

Oh I plan on removing the oil injector tomorrow and premixig from here on out. I haven't noticed any difference in the ride at all, and also haven't checked the cylinder, but Ill do that tm also. There is some sort of slight vibration noise coming from somewhere in there, but I can't decide where exactly it's coming from or if that was or wasn't there before..

As far as the kit I'm just wary of tearing the bike up, everything Iv heard is the rest of the bike can't keep up with the kit and bad things start happening all over. Also I don't really have the desire to go 50+ on this thing... I just wanna go 0-40 as quickly as possible.

That is totally untrue. Of all bikes, the urban can handle a kit better than most without any upgrades for strength.

Matthew Hicks /

Yeah I don't know about these bikes specifically. Are there any good options for more 0-40 acceleration that won't break the bank?

Lighter weights, clutch and clutch springs.. not destroying your cylinder or eat it every time you ride. All good options.

Matthew Hicks /

Pshhhh... I learn something new everyday

Matthew Hicks /

Took off the cylinder head today after removing the oil pump.. Had a small dent on the top of the piston but no other visible damage. Probably just gonna ride it out until I have enough cash to grab a kit and new carb

Probably Fred /

Matthew Hicks Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Took off the cylinder head today after removing

> the oil pump.. Had a small dent on the top of the

> piston but no other visible damage. Probably just

> gonna ride it out until I have enough cash to grab

> a kit and new carb

The head tells you nothing. You have to remove the cylinder and inspect the sides of the piston/cylinder especally by the exhaust port

The piston has that dent when new, it's to clear the decomp plunger in the Hobbit.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account