Re: QT50 rebuild options

Powder coat or high temp paint. Could do clear powder coat.

Mike Benes /

I'll start looking around at options. I emailed Jemco also.

New question....I'm looking at doing an LED conversion on the headlight, and possibly adding an integrated taillight/blinker. How do I convert to 12 volt? I'm assuming this is a 6 volt system.

my Towny is 6v, yours should be the same.

LED headlights are no better than what you have.

there should be some options for 6v halogen headlights and 6v LED for the rear, but i havent bothered todo it as i have yet to run out of compatible sealed 6v bulbs

Mike Benes /

Yup, 6 VAC it looks like. Any idea the size of the sealed light is? 6 inch?

Mike Benes /

Measured tonight. 5 inches.

This lighting has me stumped. Can't make up my mind to do an LED conversion or just pull the regulator off and try a 12 VAC halogen H4...or just buy a factory replacement sealed headlight.

Where are you finding these replacements?

Side question...Assuming everything is wired correctl, do the brakes need to be activated for the horn to work?

horn will work without brakes. Try the adjustment screw on the horn.

Mike Benes /

Yeah that's a hard pull for me to swallow. 50 bucks for a headlight. ..

Gonna look into "retrofitting" a halogen headlight. Any experiences?

Better than $95 for the oem light.

http://www.treatland.tv/BLACK-GUIA-headlight-with-chrome-rim-5-p/guia-headlight-black-025.htm

I drilled a second hole and got a rubber grommet from the hardware store.

Mike Benes /

Horn has an adjustment screw? LOL, the one in the center? I'll try it out!

Finally got some video, it's my first ever on youtube with cellphone video.

Thanks for all your help Arlie!

Sounds great! Looks like its got some good compression. Horn screw is the little one on the side with thread lock.

QT50horn.jpg

Mike Benes /

I'll check out the horn today.

Pulled out the meter and checked circuits last night. I wound up taking apart the headlight switch and cleaning the whole thing. Now it works great. The ground circuit for the horn works too. I'll check voltages with the bike running today.

I've seen some folks remove the voltage regulator and put in a 12 VAC light. The schematic I have only shows that regulator to effect the lighting circuit, I may look into that.

Mike Benes /

Moved the adjustment screw. Horn has voltage and ground circuit was verified last night. I'll call it dead.

I'll start looking for a replacement.

Mike Benes /

Jon at Jemco emailed back and said if I like the unfinished look of the pipe I can just coat it in automatic transmission fluid. That seems like it would really stink once it heats up! I may go with it though.

Question...The front fork seems wobbly. Is there an adjustment or bearing I can replace to tighten it up?

Mike Benes /

So, the headlight....I picked up a 3 prong 9003/H4 halogen from Autozone. The qt50 electrical socket works with this light. I took the old sealed beam bulb out with a soldering iron by just running it around the outside edge, thereby eventually loosening the solder connection. The bulb came loose and I just crushed the remaining glass until the bulb was removed. There's a ledge on the sealed beam lens and on the new bulb that allow a good surface. I used clear silicone to seal. I'll test it this evening. I'm going to test with the voltage regulator and then test by pulling it. I'm told the magneto will produce near 12 V. More to follow.

20150308_145537.gif
20150308_150440.gif
20150308_150538.gif

Mike Benes /
20150308_150554.gif
20150308_150909.gif

(edited)

Mike Benes /

Well this didn't go as well as I thought it would, but that's why we test.

The bulb lights, but is dim. And the standard H4/9003 halogen bulb fits in the sealed beam, but the base of the bulb is so big it pushes the connector against the headlight housing, so you're unable to re-insert the bulb.

So back to the drawing board. I'm thinking about a step up transformer and rectifier to run a 12 VDC LED.

Mike Benes /

Alright, so back to the drawing board. I built an LED system that works.

Same setup with the sealed beam but I used this LED H4, which gave me some room inside the housing.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-products/H4-W12%2012-LED/

And then I used this LED power supply,

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?pv1120=273&FV=fff40009%2Cfff804be%2C11280137%2C16fc0078%2C16fc0086&k=led+supp&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

Now. I only have one headlight setting...ON. But it works and the light seems stable at idle. It does brighten up with RPM. So I'll use this setup, but will look to replace the stator with one from a Razz. That's a pretty easy 12 Volt upgrade!

Now I put it all together and carb tune. I'm done!

Looking at the stats of the buck, it doesn't output the required amps needed by the led. It provides 350ma max , and the led draws 400ma so it will never operate at it's full potential. Also, did you not see the warning under the bulb? "These bulbs are suitable for Daytime Running Lamps only - they do not produce enough light for useful illumination at night."

Mike Benes /

Yeah I read it. It's brighter than my burned out sealed beam!

And that 400mA rating is at max voltage.

This thing is pretty bright, and switching to a Razz stator (12V) will open up brighter H4 options, now that I know this system works.

Mike Benes /

Got a 12V Razz stator on the way!!!

Keep us updated. I would like to see that how well that upgrade goes? You doing all the coils or just the lighting coil?

Mike Benes /

I'll likely swap everything over unless you know something I don't?

I'll need to find a 12V regulator now.

The razz stator coils mounted on the qt stator plate works great. You just have to cut a slot in the plate to snake the wires thru. I run this set up on a few bikes with the same headlight bulb mod.

Mike Benes /

Excellent! What did you do for a 12V regulator?

Currently, my only light is the headlight. I've been thinking about adding an LED tailight with integrated blinkers at some point down the road.

To all, this thread has gone in so many different directions. I'm truly grateful for all your inputs!

Mike Benes /

Got a Razz stator off ebay for 30 bucks. I'll put that in later, for now I started doing some carb tuning. Got 2 new plugs to start some carb tuning. For reference, I'm using a stock carburetor with a 100 main jet and conical air filter. Let me know what you think. Should I try 2.5 turns? I tried to bring my phone which has a GPS app for speed as a judge to tell me if I was picking up mph as I tuned, but it was too bright and bumpy to see. Turns out the screen was dimmed.

1.5 turns out AFR screw

1.5turns.gif

2 turns out AFR screw

2turns.gif

1.5 turns, normal plug with some mileage

1.5turns_normalplug1.gif

(edited)

Mike Benes /

One last pic of the normal plug at 1.5 turns.

1.5turns_normalplug.gif

Made a tailpipe wrap with a 25oz Budweiser can and some stainless zip ties.

Budpipe.gif

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account