Questions for fine tuning PHBG

Commodore Perry /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I need to talk to someone who really knows what they are doing when tuning Dellorto PHBG carbs.

I am running 21 phbg, 96 jet (running a little rich). The needle is a W9 with the clip on second from top notch.

This setup was perfect up until I changed the pipe and removed the head gasket.

I have 2 problems.

1. If I accelerate just a hair past 1/8th throttle, it bogs and I have no take off. If I move the throttle back down a little bit it picks right back up and I have to wait for it to accelerate to 10 mph before I can give it anymore juice. I believe the fix for that would be dropping down the needle a notch to restrict fuel flow a bit more. But, here is my other problem:

2. When I am past 1/4th throttle, I am having problems with the fuel cutting off too quickly when I let off the throttle. This would be fixed by changing to a needle with a different taper, something higher than a W9.

So if I changed out needles, would I still move it down a notch? Do I need to switch out needles? I would like to get someones skilled opinion. I want to make sure I am understanding everything correctly.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account