Plug reading...looks lean

I pulled my plug to check the color and it looks a little too gray (see pic). I think that makes sense because I'm running the bike without an air filter. With the filter the bike four strokes and spits fuel into the air box. So far I've tried cleaning out the muffler. I can blow through the muffler and notice no restriction what so ever and it looks extremely clean when I look into either end with a flashlight- nearly spotless. Open to any suggestions as for what to do next. (edited)

Plug.JPG

Re: Plug reading...looks lean

Get an air filter on there. Just derestrict the airbox one hole at a time by drilling holes or removing the plugs inthe air filter that come on some of them. don-ohio

Well if my plug is gray that should mean that I have too much air, right? But if the moped is 4 stroking that means too rich- wtf. I'm leaning toward bad reed valves right now.

Also, I pulled the muffler off and ran the bike with the air filter and it still 4 stroked so I've eliminated the clogged muffler theory. (edited)

I'm no expert by any means but that looks like a fairly new clean plug. How long and how hard have you been riding on this plug?

Just pulling the plug any old time to look at it will give you no real indication of jetting. Not only could it be colored from low throttle lean cruise but it also self cleans every time you decel.

not sure why you started a new thread.

Removed oil pump now 4-cycling

Express dies with air filter

best advice yet:

Brent Bublitz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> These bikes run ridiculously rich at the factory settings.

if you didn't fix the carb float fuel level , you will have mix issues.

please reply with the plug number you're using, and any modifications done, removing the oil injector, oil ratio and type, etc.

i've had peds that, stock, were 4 stroking under certain rpm / load conditions. off load decel, downhill, nothing minor modifications didn't reduce.

spitting fuel into the airbox isn't right, again suggests carb, reeds, or engine mechanical issues.

just trying to sift the information given.

Moped Gangsta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Well if my plug is gray that should mean that I

> have too much air, right? But if the moped is 4

> stroking that means too rich- wtf. I'm leaning

> toward bad reed valves right now.

>

> Also, I pulled the muffler off and ran the bike

> with the air filter and it still 4 stroked so I've

> eliminated the clogged muffler theory.

If it 4-strokes WITH the air filter,the filter can be too restrictive,hence my advice to derestrict it.If you don't use an air filter,odds are you're headed for serious ngine damage. don-ohio

Update, I pulled my reed set and I attached a picture of it. The left reed is lifted up somewhat and doesn't lay flat. This very well be where my problem is coming from (which I thought was a clogged muffler at first). Anyway, should I just flip it around or buy a new one or what? Thanks to everyone for all the advice up to now....

Reed1.JPG

I second the spark plug looking brand new...

Flip it around.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account