Some Puegeot Love Help

Chris Stewart /

Hey everyone nice to meet yall. I have a Peugeot 103 that I just got done rebuilding. It has new gaskets, new bearging, new airsal 50cc kit, new belt and all the wiring redone. Also has a Malossi Sha intake and new doppler reeds. The carb is a 14.14 Dellroto carb. With a 76 jet and no filter cover only the mesh stock filter that fits in sha. Everything is broken in correctly going by the moped army wiki. The timing is a 1.5mm btdc and the points are gapped to a cereal box and check with a timing light and the arrow lines up with the gromet when on. I check for air leakes there are none. So the problem Im having is that on the stand the bike runs well on the stand no weight on it but needs a little love in the beggining to get the rpms. It idles but will bog out if I let it by having the idle to low or rpms not high enough. Off the stand does not want to push me anywhere unless I pedal like a mad man. I feel like it could be 1.Jetting 2.Timing 3.Carb to small. So I wanted to see if anyone could give me advice if they delt with this or know what the problem is. I thinking its something super simple but am looking past it because I just finished putting together this bike and so much is on my mind from putting it together. Also went through the trouble shooting guide in the wiki couldnt find anything on it. So thanks everyone who reads this post.

Re: Some Puegeot Love Help

Chris Stewart /

bump need some help please

just a shot but i'd check your reeds...i had installed some replacement reeds after my metal tomos reeds snapped and almost got sucked into the engine...replacemnt reeds were malossi reeds but they were slightly too big and were hanging on the case...i filed them down and they have been perfect since...

also, that jet if really fat for a 50cc kit and 14mm carb...i'd try like a 68 or 66...

76 jet is way to big , Matt says 68 - 66 maybe even lower maybe 50-60. I think carb size is OK. Do you have another carb. to try? What mix,50:1? What choke, cable or lever, check to see if it is open lever choke releases only when throttle is wide open(look in front of carb)? pictures help.

Chris Stewart /

The carb has a lever choke and works correctly when I close it it will open when I open the throttle all the way and yes 50:1. I have a 16.16 shame figured thats to big for the set up

Chris Stewart /

Sounds good forgot to mention have a simonini circuit pipe on it as well

Chris Stewart /

Im getting white smoke now running a 69 jet

yeah, but it it improve? if so, you're still too rich...i'm thinking you mean blue smoke?

Chris Stewart /

Yeah blue smoke. Its gone now after the bike warms up its gone. The thing is that it still will barely hold the idle if I try to slow down the rear wheel I have to be gentle with it to stop. Also the feeling it has is that it feels like it has no power in the beggining then bam it will start picking up as soon as the rpms and rear wheel get faster. Im about to post up a video.

Chris Stewart /

private video?

Chris Stewart /

Oh sorry try it again

Chris Stewart /

Should I just jump to the 16.16? Wondering if it would help out. By the way I made sure for reed clearance to when I installed them

Chris Stewart /

The firat time I tryed slowing down the wheel to get it to idle it died second time I was showing the dip in power at the start off

Chris Stewart Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Should I just jump to the 16.16? Wondering if it

> would help out. By the way I made sure for reed

> clearance to when I installed them

couldn't hurt to try...

50cc bike will do fine with 16.16 all the way up to 80cc jet size is the key, a smaller jet will help. Switching carb. is easy to see if it helps. Don't over tighten a SHA, if it don't move its tight. I had one fall off once good thing it was hooked to a cable and gas line. funny now , Swiss army knife and some pliers are good to have.

Chris Stewart /

found the problem cracked flywheel side case

Chris Stewart /

Changed the cases exact same thing.

Chris Stewart /

The bike will stay at a steady rpm but does not want to idle as soon as i try to stop the wheel. It seems like timing anyone agree? I check for airleaks again not soaked that thing down to make sure haha.

Could be a variator problem. Take the belt off and grab the clutch bell with one hand and the outer variator with the other. Make sure the two turn freely of one another. Free as in you should be able to spin the variator with your hand and it will freewheel a full turn on its own.

close the gap on the points a little more.

Monkey with the gap

Chris Stewart /

Ok ill play with the gap now. The variator turns freely. It happens both with the 14.14 carb and 16.16. So have to be electrical. I drenched the thing in starter fluid nothing. The compression is awesome.

Chris Stewart /

Wait wait wait could it be that my lights are hardwired to the bike? I have a led tail light and stock head light. I unplugged yhe position that I have wired to it. Nothing changed. Could it be may be the way its wired in?

Next I would say dump out three clutch balls and add a star spring washer if you have one. That will let you get some revs going before the clutch fully engages.

As for hardwired lights? Do you have working brakelight function? If you still have the blue wire coming from the stator plate hooked into the mix but don't have your brakelight hooked up or your brake handle switches on line then the bike will die when you pull the levers.

Unhook the blue wire and ground it to the frame.

Also If you have the ill fated two coil stock ignition It is on its way out.

Dying from to low RPM is the first symptom of this sickness.

Looky

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Stock_two_coil_Peugeot_ignition_trouble

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account