Would you run this case?

I just opened up this old e50 I'm going to rebuild this winter. It's going to be a (hopefully) high power build but I'm a bit concerned about these hairline marks. They're kind of all over the place, but mostly noticeable around the bearing holes.

Is this just aluminum casting defects/artifacts? They dont appear to be cracks that go anywhere past the surface.

(edited)

IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG

Re: Would you run this case?

Yes. You are fine. If you are super worried do a leak down test but you should be doing those anyway.

I THINK its just from castings. I hope its just from castings. Fairly new to engine work but the two E50's that I've opened up recently had lines like that. I was really concerned when I saw them on the first motor, and a little relieved when I saw similar lines on the second.

Hopefully a pro will chime in, because I'm curious too.

And Luke chimed in while I was typing.... Sweet!

Those are just casting marks, not cracks. If you are worried about stress risers or anything just sand them smooth.

Thanks all. Much appreciated. It's only my 2nd build, the first one I built did not have these marks so this was the first time I've seen them.

Those lines are caused by the aluminum cooling and contracting when they were cast. The outer layer cools first so when the inside cools, the outside wrinkles a bit like your mom's butt.

Aawwww man, there's nothing like a mental image of my moms wrinkly ass to get my day started!!!

THANKS MARS FOR STEALING THE THUNDER

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account