no spark issues.

hey guys this is my first time posting on the forums i have a 77 hardtail moby which is giving me a headache.

so my moped went pop pop and died on me mid ride. i found it has no spark. i had an extra spark plug cap laying around so i swapped it and nothing. on a whim i decided to remove the magneto cover. may i say fuck novi nuts. it was a bitch getting off. ended up using a 3/8s breaker bar, a hose clamp, and a 2.5 foot long adjustable clamp to keep the bike securely on the floor. the condenser visually looks good. and i took off the HT coil and noticed it has a crack in the plastic casing.

also my new tires came in the mail during this time frame and i replaced the tires and the rear was 2.25 instead of the stock 2 inch wides. not a big difference but it rubbed on the rear fender slightly i tried expanding it with a rubber mallet and wood block but still not wide enough. i removed the fender to grind off ~3 inches where the fender meets the seat stays(fits perfectly now) and i accidentally damaged the bulb as i was disassembling the fender. i read some mopeds will not get spark without a working bulb. as of right now i have the red and purple wires exposed and no housing or bulb connecting will this cause me to lose spark or can i still attempt to fix while i look for a new bulb.

one last thing. i have no speedometer cable(hurret) since the cable is seems to be impossible to find i plan to remove the system. i know there is a few cables connected to the housing for lights and such how can i remove this without potentially causing a short or having live wires. i have no intention of adding another speedo i will use my bicycle cyclocomputer i have laying around.

thanks in advance

IMG_5875.JPG

Re: no spark issues.

The crack in the coil will let humidity and moisture in that will make it useless, find another one...

♣Slew Foot♣ /

need the taillights, it has the safety feature.

reground the tail and run the return ground onto the ht coil mount.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

as far as the cracked HT coil, cheepo fix is to use some electrical tape and some epoxy. that is, if it is functional.

Check coil unhooked with 9 volt battery, connect - battery to ground,+ to + on coil. touch on + = spark. make sure stator/coil grounds are good. to remove the magneto cover use a piston stop. On the cable, measure square drive on speedometer cable and screw size's on cable, Huret's are bad from grease gumming up meter and drive, replacements and entire systems are available from Treatland and Moped Division. Only electrics in speedometer is a light on some.

Put a jumper wire from the terminal marked 6v on the back of the magneto to the frame and check for spark.

Replace the bonding strap that goes between the upper engine mount and the external coil. Best to make one that goes from a intake stud to the external coil.

Disconnect the condenser inside the magneto and add a external one. Wire the pigtail from the new condenser to the grey wire going to the coil. Ground the condenser by attaching it to one of the external coil studs, the lower one is most convenient. For a condenser use one from a mid 1960s VW or a mid 1960s Chevy 6 cylinder.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account