1982 honda urban express

I have a 1982 Honda Urban Express that has a bad stator.How do you go about installing a new one?

Thanks in advance.

krate007

100_4166.JPG

Re: 1982 honda urban express

fallout Survivor /

It is highly unlikely that it has a bad stator.

Bad Stator?? how so....Alternator.....

fallout Survivor /

The service manual I downloaded from the site I gave you is comprehensive and gives instructions on alternator removal.

What makes you say it has a bad stator? Try a fresh battery and do the tests in the manual.

I've tried a new battery.It just gets drained.Won't charge on the machine.Any other suggestions?

That is a bad rectifier most likely.

fallout Survivor /

Get a volt meter and teach yourself motorcycle electronics and electrical trouble shooting. See if the alternator is putting out AC voltage. If it is it could be a bad rectifier. If you had a 6 v ac source (assuming 6 v system, if 12 you need a 12 v ac source, see if the rectifier converts it to DC.)

The service manual will specify a number of other tests.

Hard to recommend a course of action because you have not explained the symptoms.

Where is the rectifier located?

In the battery box.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Have you even read the manual? under the seat, from riders right, is the 5-pin CDI, rectifier (which has cooling fins), and the flasher (which is barrel shaped). Try your local Honda dealer, they can always get the part, but it might take a couple days.

As stated previously, get the factory service manual or download it somewhere. I like to have a hard copy on hand personally. It will give numerous electrical tests that will help you troubleshoot. If you don't have one, get a multimeter from home depot or somewhere for like $20. Both the manual and the meter will pay you back 10 times over. (edited)

Only the NU50M has a regulator/recitifer with fins. All other express just gave a simple little black plastic rectifier attached to a 2 pin plug.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

..............^^^ It is anNU50M,

1982 honda urban express manual

fallout Survivor /

http://projectmopedmanual.info/Manuals/Honda/Honda-NU50-shop-manual.pdf

p13-11 in the manual for tests.

I gave you a link, but you have to click on the "main page... toggle into "Honda" . Then you can view and download the NU50M manual.

Extensively illustrated.

A multimeter is a good investment, you will use for life for auto, moped, home, and even battery testing. (edited)

I never bothered to look at the picture. That the rectifier is under the seat then.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account