1982 honda urban express

I have a 1982 Honda Urban Express that has a bad stator.How do you go about installing a new one?

Thanks in advance.

krate007

100_4166.JPG

Re: 1982 honda urban express

fallout Survivor /

It is highly unlikely that it has a bad stator.

Bad Stator?? how so....Alternator.....

fallout Survivor /

The service manual I downloaded from the site I gave you is comprehensive and gives instructions on alternator removal.

What makes you say it has a bad stator? Try a fresh battery and do the tests in the manual.

klaus sieg /

I've tried a new battery.It just gets drained.Won't charge on the machine.Any other suggestions?

That is a bad rectifier most likely.

fallout Survivor /

Get a volt meter and teach yourself motorcycle electronics and electrical trouble shooting. See if the alternator is putting out AC voltage. If it is it could be a bad rectifier. If you had a 6 v ac source (assuming 6 v system, if 12 you need a 12 v ac source, see if the rectifier converts it to DC.)

The service manual will specify a number of other tests.

Hard to recommend a course of action because you have not explained the symptoms.

klaus sieg /

Where is the rectifier located?

In the battery box.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Have you even read the manual? under the seat, from riders right, is the 5-pin CDI, rectifier (which has cooling fins), and the flasher (which is barrel shaped). Try your local Honda dealer, they can always get the part, but it might take a couple days.

As stated previously, get the factory service manual or download it somewhere. I like to have a hard copy on hand personally. It will give numerous electrical tests that will help you troubleshoot. If you don't have one, get a multimeter from home depot or somewhere for like $20. Both the manual and the meter will pay you back 10 times over. (edited)

Only the NU50M has a regulator/recitifer with fins. All other express just gave a simple little black plastic rectifier attached to a 2 pin plug.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

..............^^^ It is anNU50M,

1982 honda urban express manual

fallout Survivor /

http://projectmopedmanual.info/Manuals/Honda/Honda-NU50-shop-manual.pdf

p13-11 in the manual for tests.

I gave you a link, but you have to click on the "main page... toggle into "Honda" . Then you can view and download the NU50M manual.

Extensively illustrated.

A multimeter is a good investment, you will use for life for auto, moped, home, and even battery testing. (edited)

I never bothered to look at the picture. That the rectifier is under the seat then.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account