How do I get the pulley off

Motobecane Rookie /

I started in a separate thread a few weeks ago. As my username entails, I'm new to this stuff so please bear with me if my description of parts isn't perfect.

In short, I broke the extender piece on the inside of the pulley, the piece that hooks to the chain. The pic motobecane3 tries to show the broken pulley. I bought the new pulley, and it's ready to install, but the old pulley doesn't come off? at least not easily. The pic motobecane1 tries to show that I've taken the pedal off, taken that rubber piece off, and loosened the bike chain (not sure if that was even necessary). Am I just not pulling the pulley hard enough, or is there something else that I need to unscrew before the pulley comes off?

Having a lot of fun learning moped repair, as slow as that may be. Thanks in advance for help.

Motobecane1.jpg
Motobecane2.jpg
Motobecane3.jpg

Re: How do I get the pulley off

There is a dust cap, and then under that is a circlip that needs to be removed.

Motobecane Rookie /

Is the dust cap / circlip somewhere on the pulley that can be seen on the motobecane2 picture, is it on the inside of the pulley, or is it somewhere else on the moped that isn't on the pulley?

Thanks,

You can see both the dist cap and the circlip in this photo. It's right in the center of the pulley hub.

. (edited)

yes, just look down the shaft ....theres a circlip, then some washers

Motobecane Rookie /

I now understand what the distributor cap and circlip are, and I have myself a pair of the circlip pliers.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to get the distrubutor cap off, simply pulling didn't work?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account