Installing Gazelle tires..WTF!

Hey Guys,

I have had a hell of a time replacing the Gazelle tires. I've tried leaving them in the sun, baby powder the whole lot. Of the 4 tires I have replaced, I have damaged 2 tubes in the process and I now need to pull the 4th tire to redo it. I tried the zip tie method and even then was unable to slide the tire on as shown in some motorcycle tutorials. Am I doing something wrong? I just bought a Garelli VIP 2 spd and it needs new tires and the thought of doing this 2 more times makes me not look forward to it. I am using proper tire levers and such.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Re: Installing Gazelle tires..WTF!

Fuck your Boys Club /

I've heard of ppl putting them in the oven for a little bit to soften them up. Any way you slice it those puppies are a hassle- but worth it.

I was doing this in an airplane hangar with no oven and it was at night so no sun to warm them up. I may try again this weekend. How importnat is rotation direction, I got the front on wrong as I accidentally read the rear tire marker. The thought of pulling both off sickens me. They could easily reduce the inner diameter by 3/8" to help and it would still work.

heat helps alot, soapy water helps alot, seating it so the first lip on sits in the center of the rim. little pressure in the tire and snug it around so the outer rim is resting against the lip before you pry it on, lever with body weight over it, press as much on as you can. make sure the last part on is not at or directly opposite the valve stem. marty posted a neat option with zipties recently

I tried the zip tie trick but still had trouble. I may try again and use more. or some velcro sinch straps.

Marc

Dirty30 Dillon /

TIP: Don't use Gazelles

Make sure to get the bead down in the lower center section of the rim.

Dillon,

what do you recommend that works well for mostly dry California Climate and that are also easier to install than a Gazelle?

Marc

ha ha ha ha doing it wrong

put the bead in the center of the rim. it gets easy when you do that

the tube popping thing, kinda jam the tube in halfway, put a little air in it and let it settle into the tire, then pull the core out of the stem and let it deflate.

very small pinches with the tire irons and follow along as close to them as possible with your fingers and ensure that the tube is settled into the outside of the tire.

soapy water helps but its not necessary.

So are you saying on the side that is already in the rim, I need to make sure it stays in the center as I work the other bead around? I did have a bit of air in the tube like I do on my mtn bike, but just a little to hold shape. However the core was still in. I will try that. Still these things are nasty..

Marc

get the first side of the tire centered in the middle of the rim and work it around, it should go on pretty easy by hand, maybe just a little pop over the very last bit with tire iron

then put the tube in and wrangle the nipple past the bead into the hole, leave it super loose but put the nut on the valve stem so it doesn't pop back in. stuff the tube around the wheel through the gap try to keep it from twisting

put just enough air in the tube to get it to settle, then drain the air back out so its flacid, you can pull the stem if you're in a hurry.

start on the far side of the tire from the stem and set the bead in the middle of the rim. work it around the edge by hand keeping as much of the bead as close to the center of the rim as possible. you should be able to get 2/3 of the way around just by hand, if it starts getting tight work the bead back to the center of the rim as much as possible.

this is the part that takes some finesse because if you don't keep the bead centered in the rim, it gets tight right away and you have to start fighting it.

the last 3rd you'll have to do with tire irons, i have those 'giant' ones on treats so its pretty easy.

working 1-1.5 inches at a time, pull the bead into the rim, and push it over the edge by hand. dont force it all the way up to the iron, just use the iron to stretch it out and push it over the edge by hand. if you do it this way its impossible to pop a tube.

the iron will be about 1.5" ahead of where your hand is pushing the bead over, and you'll work in 1-1.5" increments. the iron never rocks over the edge of the wheel so it can't ever pinch the tube.

i know people have done videos on this, but maybe that discription will make sense or help somehow. it took a couple tries to get it perfected but i don't ever pop tubes anymore.

My Gazelles were super easy to get on... no oven or tire irons. I did as mentioned above... get the first bead centered in the rim, then fed the tube in, added a smidgen of air, then by hand started plopping the other bead of the tire into place. I started at the stem working my way around. I used a little bit of Gojo to lubricate the rim. Had to use a fat screwdriver for the last 3 inches of tire but all said and done got old tire off and new on in about 5 mins.

Thanks for the great writeup on this. I will give it s shot this weekend and report back. I bought another 2 tubes just in case and another tire iron

Marc

I find it hard to understand why so many people have a difficult time mounting tires. We have a tire machine at the shop, but all small tires are done by hand. If it takes you more than 10 minutes to mount a tire, you are fired.

There may be instructional videos that may help determine if you are using the correct tools and techniques. I think a few tips, a little practice and no one will be posting tire mounting threads.

Make sure to have enough air in the tube so it is not flat when you are mounting the tire. A flat tube is easy to pinch but with the right amount of air, the tire iron tends to push it away. Too much air and it will inhibit the mounting by pushing the tire outward.

The smaller it is, the harder it is to mount, and the more lubrication you need. On bikes about 600cc and up we use no lube because it can allow the tire to spin on the rim.

Re: Installing Gazelle tires..soap...

fallout Survivor /

Gazelles really grab the rim lips, so you have to lube, and constantly reset the tire to release that tension.

Use a lot of dish soap, use motorcycle tire irons. You have to release the tension every time you lever on more tire bead on the rim... this means you have to push the beads together and release the tension towards the point where you are jacking the tire beads to the rim. One or two c-clamps to keep the beads on the rim or a helper do a lot of good.

Tension,, then release,, tension then release.... You are resetting the position of the tire on the rim, stepwise pushing the beads together towards the center of the rim. (edited)

Marc Webster Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dillon,

>

> what do you recommend that works well for mostly

> dry California Climate and that are also easier to

> install than a Gazelle?

>

> Marc

Anything. Seriously. It's mopeds.

no hot sun when you need it? oil filled electric radiator heater and a big cardboard box do the trick on chilly fall/winter days. lean the tire against the heater, throw the box over for a few minutes, get the tire started on the rim, repeat as needed. i've used baby powder, didn't want to mess with dish soap. throwing the wheel on top of a 10 gallon bucket gives you a nice stable work platform, no wheel rolling around on the axle on the floor.

I used the garbage bag trick

Blue painters tape and three tire irons or two with at least a 16 inch regular screw driver to hold bead while you move one of the tire irons. It gets easier every time.

I had a similar problem. I could get it 75% on with the zip tie method. I then used a paint stripper heat gun (to warm up the areas I will be using tire irons on) along with soap/water and tire irons.

Slips on with a struggle.

You can do it yourself but it is much easier with a second person.

Some put them in the dryer instead of the oven. Heard claims of really good results but haven't tried myself.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account