New clutch now engagement issue

So I did a whole rebuild of my puch e50 and added a new stuffed crank and a superclutch from 1977 mopeds. Get the bad boy running for a short half mile, shut if off, started back up and pedals will spin whenever the rear wheel is spinning now.

So what I've done.... Taken the clutch apart retightened the shoes, loosened the shoes, tightened the shoes and problem persists.

My question is what kind of torque spec should I put on the screws that hold the springs/shoes in place? I would assume if I go to tight I'd have problems with the clutch grabbing wouldn't I?

I'm baffled someone help!

Re: New clutch now engagement issue

i added the superclutch a few months ago, and it did have a break in period for a couple of weeks.

But the problem is the pedals keep spinning they will not disengage when the engine is running. Is this a clutch tuning issue? The pedals are even engaged when I disconnect the start lever (edited)

Do you have a selector switch near the pedal shaft? To engage for pedal only?

Im assuming the e50 is attached to a Puch bike... which has a separate pedal drive. So the pedals should only spin if the rear wheel is turning in reverse...

Freewheel failure? I dont know how else your pedals would be spinning forward.

You are right the pedals spin in reverse when the engine is running and wheel is spinning forward.

Pedals spinning have nothing to do with the clutch... sounds like the freewheel.

Is there a way for me to test this?

When they do engage I can leave my feet on the pedals to prevent them from slamming my shins but it feels like its bogging the engine down. Would this make sense?

Dirty30 Dillon /

It's a bad freewheel definitely, that is only items that connects the spinning wheel to the pedals. Replace it now, or it will lock up at speed and you'll be sad when you hit the road.

Way to test: Take off pedal chain

Spin freewheel clockwise. It should turn wheel with it and there should be resistance, but no clicking or binding.

Spin freewheel counter-clockwise. It should have no resistance, andn if you give it a flick it should travel almost a whole rotation before slowing down.

If anything feels janky, replace it. it's $8 for the love of cheese.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Steve Clark Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Do you have a selector switch near the pedal

> shaft? To engage for pedal only?

Something tells me reading is not your strong point.

They are rebuild-able if you like keeping track of really small bearings.

I saw a thread recently here. Way easier just to replace it.

Or even easier take the pedal chain off and bump start only.

yeah you can bump start it and eliminates replacing anything ^ but yeah looking at this again its def the freewheel.

So I took the chain off and bump started it with no problems. Warm the girl up and drop it off the stand get on the gas and BAM I'm running in reverse. WTF!?!? I've never had this problem before.

What did I install backwards?? please remember its run forward while having this previous issue

Overpriced Parts /

Timing is off, reversed

hmmm maybe this has something to do with the amateur move of not installing the woodruff key back on the crank.........

I am still learning this lesson, but here is the gist of it:

Mopeds.

If you run an e/za fly on the other engine with reversed timing, would it run foreward?

0_o

Also dont forget to lock down that fly nut after you get the key back in. (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account