General 5 star electrical testing.

Blorp Blorpmonger /

First of all, thanks for all the previous help on the engine work. Engine is putting like a dream now.

Now, On to electrical. I currently have the blue wire grounded. Engine fires up fine, and the headlight fires. Without the blue wire grounded, it will not start. So I am assuming it is a tail bulb or a turn signal.

I found a couple of wiring diagrams, however I have not messed with 6 volt AC systems before. So, 2 questions:

1) A burned out tail light will kill the ignition, but will a burned out turn signal?

2) Can i simply ground out all the lights, and then go through and trouble shoot each one one at a time? Or will grounding out the light cause a short that will kill the engine?

thanks.

Re: General 5 star electrical testing.

im pretty sure the battery ran the turn signals system.

Blorp Blorpmonger /

No battery on this. Space for one, but the previous owner said he never used it. However I am fairly sure the brakelight did not run on a battery.

the lighting and ignition are ALMOST entirely separate. a few manufacturers, this included, decided to use the ground wire from the ignition to power brakelight.

Basically, the switches on the brake levers were always on(closed), and connect to ground, allowing the bike to run. hitting the brakes open the circuit, dumping power thru the brakelight and illuminating it, while continuing to run.

In this case a blown brakelight'd result in a no-ground condition for ignition and it'd die. sometimes that was the taillight instead.

By grounding the blue wire you bypass all that, a wise move as it WILL save you from an inevitable and annoying breakdown at some point.

However, to run a brakelight you need to get always OPEN (NO = normally open) switches, and run them from the head/tail power from the stator and to the brakelight. that way pulling the levers closes and completes the circuit sending power to the brakelight without needing whacky ignition ground nonsense

You'll benefit from a battery for that style brakelight, and probably need it for proper blinkers, because otherwise your brakelight and blinkers will draw power from the lights, and they'll get really dim or totally nonfunctional at low speed and especially at idle.

You have to coils on the stator ,one is for ignition and maybe brake light, the other is for everything else. Are the turn signals stock, or aftermarket like Cateye . The moped in the picture has after market Cateye turn signals on the back, some ran off of four D batteries, and stock type on the front . Turn signals and headlight have nothing to do with ignition system. Try the blue wire on the tail light and see if it runs. I don't know general that well except if it has Mineralli motor(LTD), some had Sachs 505. If I am not correct someone will point it out I am sure. Good luck.

turn switch ,saddle bag 006.JPG

Blorp Blorpmonger /

I assume the turn signals are stock, nothing on this bike has been modded.

Blorp Blorpmonger /

yeah, after doing more reading I think I'll stick a rechargeable battery in and just run some LED's.

Pictures help.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account