Tomos trans noise issue - update from a couple months ago

Posted a couple months ago about my little A35 making more overall tranny noise after 15-20 mins of zipping around in hot weather. Parked it for a month after starting new job, figuring the fluid needed changed anyway. Finally got to that today......opened all three plugs, and NO FLUID came out. NO leaks, either. All I can assume is that "service" was done on it, and some idiot forgot to refill the bastard?? It only had 790 miles on it, original owners (local business people.) Yeah, I know - my dumb ass should have checked it. Oops.

Anyway....filled the thing with Valvoline full-syn ATF, got it started, and went for a ride. EUREKA! Smoother/quieter than ever, well past 40 Tomos-mph, and upshift is now, um, leisurely - as opposed to *BAM*, and I'm fine with that. Just thought I'd share a noob's experience :D

Re: Tomos trans noise issue - update from a couple months ago

Type A ATF is the correct fluid.

Yes, Saab, but replies to my original post mentioned everything from Type F to 5W30 motor oil (depending on the specific 'ped setup, I'm sure), including full-synthetic ATF - which seemed like a solid upgrade, since full-syn oils and fluids don't break down with heat like conventional fluids do. This is a concern for me here in Phoenix, so I went with that option, and I'm quite happy with the results so far.

You might want to drain oil into something clear and look for contamination from running with no oil, filter it if it needs it and put it back in. You might see something else. You may have a internal seal leak.

Oh, I'll be keeping my eye on it, Steve. I don't ride it much - it's just a toy. As soon as it got noisy I parked it, so I'm hoping for the best.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account