Break trouble Nu50

Hadrian Carlsen /

So I recently bought my Nu50 off a guy about a month or so and the rear brakes didn't work even a tiny bit. I finally got around to replacing them about a week and a half ago. Of course the old brakes were in the worst possible condition.

Anyways I cleaned everything up, wiped it all down and installed my new brakes. They sorta worked for a little while and now they don't at all, the wheel moves as if the pads don't exist.. Even tried various adjustments but alas even all the way tight the brakes do not seem to work. Any ideas?

Re: Break trouble Nu50

Pull the wheel back off and inspect your pads again. If they are intact and the lever/cam actuates them then you can move the lever on the shaft to get more travel out of them.

Check the drum for glazing, fix with light sanding, or worn out.

Is the break cam moving when you press the brake arm? Have you looked at the manual to make sure you have all the parts? Sure you have the right brake pads? You should be able to over tighten the adjustment to the point where the wheel will hardly turn then turn it back a bit. If you can post some pics with the wheel off maybe we can spot a problem.

Hadrian Carlsen /

Sure thing I'll give you before and after pictures of when I installed the brakes. The before picture is a bit blurry.

10538474_880933061931928_3381537993222467664_n.jpg
1907443_880933041931930_67664025021520067_n.jpg

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Your outer cabling has been stretched, and pulling the lever is just compressing the outer cable. Get new cables, being careful not to pull on it too hard, when installing them. Those shoes are new, and you should be stopping.

Hadrian Carlsen /

It's not the brake cable. As I took off the adjuster screw and manually compressed the brake. Still nothing and as I've observed the brake pad is literally not touching the inside of the wheel. I was contemplating shimming the little actuator that rotates and compresses the brakes but figured that the shim would probably fall off and cause havoc.

I'll say it one more time, one. The actuator arm can be removed and rotated further away to give more travel to the brake shoes when the adjuster does not allow them to engage.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account