Tomos lx leaking from cylinder

Got a new 0 miles tomos lx. It is a 2012 all stock. It started leaking between the two parts of the cylinder. Took it to the dealer got the head gasket replaced. It stopped leaking for 30 miles and now it looks like it's leaking again from the same spot. What is going on?

Re: Tomos lx leaking from cylinder

You pay somebody to fix it? Take it back then. If not, you fix it yourself? Show pictures.

It is under warranty but the dealer I got it from is an hour away and replaced the head gasket once. Does it need another? It can't be normal to replace the gasket every 50 miles. The bile has got less than 200 mi. Now.

Overpriced Parts /

Yep It's the head gasket leaking and the machinic is a dummy because you could have stripped threads on the studs, nuts or crud between gasket and head or maybe he didn't give you a new gasket at all. Did you see or get the old part back ?

Take it back and if not fixed get your money back its a lemon.

that's bullshit on their part.

Guy says bring it back and leave it so he can go over it really good. He asked if it is leaking more than the first time? I said no about the same. So he was like maybe the gasket wasn't the problem.

No didn't get the old part. He said that they cleaned it up replaced the head gasket torqued it to spec's ran it and no leaks.

I didn't have any leaks for 35 or 40 miles now it looks like it's coming out from between the cylinder and head and maybe from the base or maybe it's oil that got blown down the fins while riding.

Also had to get speedometer fixed (1 trip) then replaced (2nd trip)

I'm in Ann Arbor dealer is in Clinton township. One side of Detroit and the other.

Sure it's not an exhaust leak on the front side blowing oil forward all over the fins?

Overpriced Parts /

Needs to be replaced with new gasket not used ones

Idiots trying to save a couple bucks. When I worked at a authorized Puch dealer/motorcycle shop (well not really worked just did a few things here and there and hung out) whenever a bike would come in and needed to head to be removed like for decarbonization or leak we would put a new head gasket on even if it didn't come with the head gasket (some years hi torque cylinders) because unless you got the head in the exact same place on the cylinder where it sat it could leak.

This was especially true if somebody bumped in the head on their bike against something hard like a curb that caused the leak. The shop had very thin head gaskets really didn't change the compression much at all and usually after you got the carbon removed on the exhaust port, pipe, piston and free up the stuck carbonized rings the bike ran much better anyway.

The mechanics at the shop were very good and conscientious with very few callbacks. I learned a lot from them and one of the things was not to reuse old gaskets. Most times they used new nuts and washers too for a perfect torque.

I myself at least flip the head washers to the smooth side so they torque better if new are not available.

If they can't get this done right I don't know what I should do. Like I said it's under warranty. Less than 200 f-n miles.

Under warranty means thy fix it until they get it right. Or get all your money back. Camp there if you have to, be a nuisance.

John Joedicke /

When did Tomos use "head" gaskets. You need to lap the two surfaces flat to each other. Then torque to proper specs, and retorque after heat cycle.

Overpriced Parts /

John Joedicke Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> When did Tomos use "head" gaskets. You need to

> lap the two surfaces flat to each other. Then

> torque to proper specs, and retorque after heat

> cycle.

They learned gaskets sealed better and put them on the a55 series engines

Most dealers tomos service mechanics put thin copper head gaskets on after carbon removal/servicing head on a35 engines that didn't come with head gaskets .

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account