minarelli v1 sheared woodruff key

Blorp Blorpmonger /

Hello all.

I have a general 5 star. The woodruff key got sheared. I tried buying some similar sized ones at Ace hardware and grinding them down, but none of them will fit right. The socket it fits into got a little screwed up when it sheared.

Now, I can put the flywheel on in the right spot and tighten the bolt with my electric impact wrench, and it runs fine.

However after riding it a while, and then shutting it off, it will not start again. I have to pull the flywheel and reset the position and tighten the bolt again.

My question: What metal should the flywheel bolt be made out of? When i bought this it did not come with one, and I just bought a steel one at ace hardware. It fits fine, but I am wondering if perhaps it is too soft and without the woodruff key it gets out of alignment every time I ride it?

Should it be brass or something harder?

Thanks.

Re: minarelli v1 sheared woodruff key

Blorp Blorpmonger /

Also, what size is the woodruff key? Not sure from the ones on treatland.

https://www.treatland.tv/SearchResults.asp?Search=woodruff

If your flywheel is slipping your taper is not quite right. Very carefully file down any high spots on the crankshaft and then clean up the key-way inside the flywheel with a half round file. Then use valve grinding paste and twist the flywheel on the crank taper a bit, it shouldn't take much. Now clean up all the valve grinding paste, its abrasive so you don't want it getting in your seals or on the points cam. Clean both tapers with brake cleaner, you don't want any oily residue. Take a short piece of pipe or maybe even an old socket that will fit over the end of the crankshaft and contact the flat spot in the center of the flywheel without contacting the puller threads or crankshaft end and give it a light tap or too. I'm not taking about wailing on it either, just lightly. This will seat the flywheel onto the taper. Then tighten the nut up.

Blorp Blorpmonger /

I had one break but it didn't hurt the shaft , what Ed said taper is not holding. Nut should be harder than brass it torques to 33.3 to 34.7 ft.lbs. this is it a little wider than the hardware store one:https://www.treatland.tv/polini-minarelli-V1-magneto-nut-m10-x-1-25-p/polini-magneto-nut-144.310.003.htm. .the key is here, a little J B weld might to hold it in the shaft just make sure its cured before you put flywheel on, you don't want to glue that on : woodruff key 3.0 x3.7 x 9.6 x 10.0 Minarelli #4720, CEV 6932 flywheel

M-85 woodruff key 3.0 x3.6 x 9.5 x 10.0 big Bosch flywheel You didn't say which flywheel but this one should fit any of the three for a V1.

i also bought a bunch here and have a baggie full of them

http://www.1977mopeds.com/minarelli-based-moped-woodruff-flywheel-key.html

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account