Flywheel nut won't tighten - beware, lame questions ahoy

Hey guys, first post here.

Working on a 1980 Peugeot 103. I was trying to be a cool kid and take out three of the ball weights in my clutch like the pros do, so I put a socket on each end of the crank - the clutch and flywheel sides - and spun them apart to try to unscrew the variator nut.

Well, it didn't work. I got something loose all right, but I kept ratcheting for all eternity and nothing would fully unscrew. So, getting frustrated, I decided to pull the variator apart on another day after doing some more research.

Only problem is, now I can't tighten anything back to how it was. I used the double ratchet trick again to no avail, just kept spinning and spinning and spinning...nothing's getting tighter OR looser now. It seems like the flywheel nut is just sitting on top of the crank doing nothing.

When I try to bump start the bike, the engine won't engage. Wheel just spins.

I really screwed the pooch on this one, didn't I? Somebody tell me the obvious answer that is very likely staring me in the face.

Re: Flywheel nut won't tighten - beware, lame questions ahoy

More details-

I manged to get the flywheel nut off - mostly by just pulling it off, since it was just free spinning - and it looks like the entire length of contact where it was on the shaft is pretty well stripped.

When I try to put it back on, it just spins...I can't get anything tightened down no matter what I try.

When you put a socket on either side you basically tightened it until it sheared the treads off, the threads can only take a certain amount of torque. You may be able to re-tap the end of the crankshaft and use a nut with a smaller thread.

Shit man, I knew I must have trashed it somehow. This is why we don't F with things we don't understand

Were they reverse(left-hand)threads? If so,you stripped `em. don-ohio

That nut is left hand thread unless I am forgetting. Someone correct me?

You should read Fred's Guide in this section of wiki: http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Category:For_Newbies .If I understand what you did, its the nut not the shaft? If that's it here's the nut:https://www.treatland.tv/puch-clutch-flywheel-nut-with-washer-p/puch-clutch-fly-nut.htm. Or you can find it at the hardware store 10mm x 1mm. Read the wiki section before you do anything else, it will help you.

wrong part, not a Puch...

49812 flange nut M10x1.00 x 7 RH hex21 $7 Peugeot clutch nut

9012943 flange nut M10x1.00 x 8 RH hex14 $5 Puch flywheel nut

Looks like same thread to me , anybody else know what it is? My point was I think the nut was striped not the shaft, minor inconvenience.

If its just the nut that's stripped then no big deal. Maybe you lucked out.

Steve Clark Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 49812 flange nut M10x1.00 x 7 RH hex21 $7 Peugeot

> clutch nut

> 9012943 flange nut M10x1.00 x 8 RH hex14 $5 Puch

> flywheel nut

> Looks like same thread to me , anybody else know

> what it is? My point was I think the nut was

> striped not the shaft, minor inconvenience.

Except that the Peugeot clutch nut is not the Peugeot flywheel nut

That may be. I was just pointing out the wording you posted as they were not links.

Casey Chambers /

Unfortunately I did this last week. If you look at your threads on your crank you'll see you pulled them off. It is normal thread not left handed. You can Cut threads off to taper and weld on new 10 x 1 bolt that you grind down or buy new crank. I welded mine and it's been holding up.

Could carefully turn the material down and tap smaller threads onto the crank, but then it'll be even less resistant to over torque. I would bite the bullet and replace the crank if indeed the threads are gone. If your nut took the hit only, then you are supremely lucky.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I was inspecting the parts this morning, and the nut is defintiely stripped bare, but the end of the crank still looks like it has plenty of threading left, albeit a bit damaged.

To me that would make sense, since in my experience the crankshaft is almost always made of a much harder steel than it's accessories...but maybe the French did it differently...

I ordered a replacement nut. Hopefully it will work.

To be honest though, I'm still curious if it's a left or right hand thread. Seems like we have differing opniions here. How do I go about finding out?

Right hand tightens up clockwise, left counterclockwise, remember it like this. lefty loosey, righty tighty . Sometimes its marked on end of shaft,"L", sometimes not. I saw three guys try to loosen a 2 inch nut on a shaft on a gear cut machine marked L till it snapped like thunder. It was R.H. in the book. (edited)

do you have enough excess thread further up the shaft to just pack out past the stripped bit with washers?

I don't know anything about Pug's.. but wouldnt you need to use a piston stop so the crank doesnt keep spinning when you try to tighten the nut? Maybe that's what the double ratchet thing is you're talkin about? lol

Dirty30 Dillon /

It's standard threading. And if the threads on the crank are at all boogered up, you're going to want to chase them or clean them up with a file before you even attempt to put that new nut on, otherwise it'll just do the same thing all over.

Speaking of which, I hope you aren't using impact to drive any of these off.

Why not dillon? Remember we used an impact on that moby like 30 times in one night without messing it up

Get or make a band clamp for the clutch bell, a caliper style pin lock wrench for the flywheel, or a piston stop at least for future easy life

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account