Vespa Piaggio Si Monte Carlo

Amit Yacobovitch /

Hello All!

I have recently started to repair my dad's old Vespa Piaggio Si scooter. I'm doing it mainly to preserve his name as he died 2 months ago, and I need your help.

I should mention that I have no experience in such things, but I have good hands and I believe I can handle it.

So the thing is like that:

The scooter is really old and it was sitting outside for almost 4 years, suffering cold and hot weather. Also, I had no idea what was the model at first, only knew it was a Piaggio, because it has no papers or license, and Iv'e haven't searching the VIN numbers yet.

I have found the model, Vespa Piaggio Si, but than it turned out it was a special edition, the Vespa Piaggio Si Monte Carlo.

So I've dismantled it completely to parts and now I want to know how to clean all the parts, as I send the frame to be painted and removing all the rust.

I want to know if anyone know were can I buy parts to this scooter, and I need to know how to open the front variator, it has a Aum larger than 23 MM! (Iv'e managed, with my last powers, only open the rear variator).

Also, Iv'e noticed (and it is more clear to see in the Si edition that there is one down there) that it has an empty space near the motor, probably for a suspension. But I couldn't tell because it has 2 rear ones, and only in the Si Iv'e saw it (in online pictures) and not in the Monte-Carlo edition.

Thanks you all, I really need help... :)

P.S the scooter before Iv'e dismantled it:

(edited)

Re: Vespa Piaggio Si Monte Carlo

Double Trouble Dan /

Amit Yacobovitch /

Hey, I should've mentioned that I've been reading this stuff, and I pretty much know the basics. The uniqu shifing gears and such...

My main problem right know is how to open the front variator case, it has an AUM larger than 22 mm (that I does'nt have right know in my home) and probably 24 mm or something like that.

Also, it has a ring with a twist, like someone did it in purpse, and now I see that it is in all scooters...

So why are they doing it? (giving this "ring" a twist in one edge before the aum comes...) And how do I open the variator? The back variator I already opened with a ratchet.

And after I open and getting the motor out - I need some guide or something to clean it, and getting all the rust out. (Or should I give it to a pro?)

Thanks again!

Dadon Martino /

First of all, bend your ring back to normal position before unscrewing this AUM. In this picture you see a tuning variator. There's no need for this ring at all.

When to actually unscrew this AUM 24mm you have to fixate your flywheel. This can be done to stick a screwdriver in the hole of your Si subframe. It will actually hold on to one of your fans from your flywheel. Take a Bahco or some other tool to unscrew.

I saw you have a nice version which originally has kickstarter, but is missing some pieces to get this working correctly. The Si subframe always has a hole in it for housing a monoshock, but the stereo springs are more common.

Good luck restoring this bike. It might be wise to get a whole revision of your motor. These motors are really easy to build up yourself and there are alot of good online how-to's that might help you.

I think the 'ring' he is talking about is the lock washer; you fold it over the nut to keep it from backing off. The nut is a 24mm iirc, a big adjustable crescent wrench works when there's no right size one around. once it's off the variator just slides off the shaft. There's many ways to clean stuff, most include some metal brushes and elbow grease. Mineral spirits work well on gunk.

GL

~M

Take notes where stuff came from ,label everything you never know how long before you put it banc together. Box similar parts together.

Double Trouble Dan /

Bend the washer tabs out of the way on the clutch nut and get a 6 sided (if you can find one) 24mm socket. I needed one for my for Ford Taurus axle and used a loaner tool set from Autozone the first time. Then i bought a couple for $1 each from a local flea market. I have a couple extra 12 sided ones if you need one. spray with P.B. blaster or similar. Hit the nut with a propane torch or mapp gas if you have one Lock the engine with a piece of rope in the spark plug hole or a screw driver through the flywheel and it should come right off.

Amit Yacobovitch /

Hey, I still can't get that aum out as I don't want to destroy anything. Where exactly to stick the screwdriver?

And after I pull the motor out, I obviously need to clean him up and get rust out. Can anyone give me a good guide of a How-To?

Thanks again!

Amit Yacobovitch /

Hey, I still can't get that aum out as I don't want to destroy anything. Where exactly to stick the screwdriver?

And after I pull the motor out, I obviously need to clean him up and get rust out. Can anyone give me a good guide of a How-To?

Thanks again!

Amit Yacobovitch /

Ok, finally I've opened the aum, and this pin of the engine (just under the front variator) is still in the frame. Tried to opened without success. Any help?

And again, if someone have a good guide of a how to clean and get the engine up and running again.

Amit Yacobovitch /

How do I open the flywheel?? I saw I need some Extractor or something, but I can't see what I need.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account