Tomos Air Box

Andrew Brusnahan /

Hi guys,

I have a quick question for you. I am trying to get an old Tomos Targa LX from the late 80s, early 90s. I bought this air box for it from Treatland:

https://www.treatland.tv/original-tomos-A35-stock-air-box-complete-p/tomos-a35-air-box-230069.htm

While the snorkel fits around the carb perfectly, it definitely wouldn't stay on under normal riding conditions. I was wondering if any Tomos owners out there could show me what they're doing to install this thing.

Also, the air box doesn't seem to fit flush on the bike. If I have it on the carb all the way around, then the airbox itself is sitting on a diagonal, rather than being seated flat against the frame of the bike.

Any ideas what this is? This is my first Tomos so I'm still learning about them.

Re: Tomos Air Box

I know on mine, there was a metal tension band around the carb end of the snorkel, kind of like a hose clamp.

do you have the little pipe in the hole in the frame? or the other way around?

Andrew Brusnahan /

I have the hole in the frame, but when I put the pipe in the hole it pretty much causes the snorkel to come off the carb. When I hose clamp the snorkel, the pipe is just forced out of the hole. Its quite frustrating!

I could zip-tie the heck out of it, but I am still curious as to why an OEM assembly won't fit. What am I doing wrong?

Are you sure you have the right one? They made different ones ,what carb ,sha?

the mounting coupler thing shouldl swivel around. try rotating it and then the pipe should stay in that hole

Andrew Brusnahan /

I will need to take a picture later when I get off work. The snorkel that connects the airbox to the carb is straight as indicated in the stock picture. Does anybody have any pics of how their airbox is mounted?

Put a hose clamp over the rubber part that slips over the carburetor. There is a hole in the frame where the air box inlet fits, you might not have that hole if your bike is an earlier model, but as long as it isn't blocked it'll still work, it just wont fit flush against the frame.

Andrew Brusnahan /

Saabsonettguy . Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Put a hose clamp over the rubber part that slips

> over the carburetor. There is a hole in the frame

> where the air box inlet fits, you might not have

> that hole if your bike is an earlier model, but as

> long as it isn't blocked it'll still work, it just

> wont fit flush against the frame.

But how does the airbox stay mounted. I understand the hoseclamp holds the snorkel end, but as I said before, the box does not fit flush so it just comes right out of the hole. So I'm wondering how the actual box itself would remain mounted during normal use.

There is one mounting screw hold at the top front corner that screws into a little bracket that sticks off the frame.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account