Something is broken

i have a 2010 steetmate r and it was making a wierd rattling noise when i would go full throttle. needles to say i was drag racing one of my friends on a moped and after the race i turned around and it shut off.... not like a kill switch i mean just instatly dead.

kicking over sounds hollow, and it will not start. the piston still moves.... its somthing wrong in the engine case.

can anyone help me i am about 1700 in the build and i am either going to fix it for <300 or i am going to sell it for parts or broken and try and get most of my money back. any tips?

Re: Something is broken

Overpriced Parts /

Pull the top end and inspect the crank area, piston rings and cylinder.

Then if you don't see anything matter with it then pull the clutch cover side and inspect it .

This moped stuff it's not hard

It's dumb to give up so soon.

i already rebuild the top end.... was a bitch...

nothing is wrong with the top end... if i pull off the cluch side will all of the ATF fluid pour out? and if something is wrong what do i do its not like i can just go on treats and buy the clutch part i need... and if i mess it up then im really screwed

Overpriced Parts /

Josh Widawsky Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> i already rebuild the top end.... was a bitch...

>

> nothing is wrong with the top end... if i pull off

> the cluch side will all of the ATF fluid pour out?

> and if something is wrong what do i do its not

> like i can just go on treats and buy the clutch

> part i need... and if i mess it up then im really

> screwed

If you rebuilt the top then ya I suggest you take it apart again .

I can't see how you think it was a bitch doing a top end job is nothing.

Yes you could get any part you need to fix your bike so it's just mopeds

Did you check your flywheel? Could have come off or clutch.

Your description of sounding (hollow) when turning over sounds like top-end damage from drag racing...over heating due to improper break-in / tuning...

So what should my action be? Top end works fine. .. something in the trans.

Did you check your clutch? Drain out the oil and look at that for metal flakes, bad sign. Pull off cover and look at it, if its bad or just came loose its the only to know.Check flywheel too.

Have you done a compression test, if not do so and report the results.

Compression is good. I am going to check the clutch tonight. Where is the flywheel?

All your answers lie within:

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Category:Tomos

So I opened up the clutch. I don't no how to get end thing out tho. Everytime I try to loosen it it just spins the inner chain... speaking of. Every rotation it makes a snapping noise like a clunk... also it seems that the smaller gear is rimming against the flywhee(or what ever the smooth thing is right in front. ? Any ideas... pics in a sec.

You need a piston stop to remove the clutch nut without the whole crank spinning. Try pushing the gear cluster shaft in, it shouldn't contact the clutch bell in normal operation (the clutch cover holds it in place). There is a shim behind the clutch bell that prevents it from hitting the gear during normal operation.

i am going to sell the whole bike. it was a good learning experince but i think this is the way to go. thanks for all the help and support from everyone here!

Stay confident and keep at it. If you sell it as-is non running you're going to take a huge loss. If you do the work yourself the repair wont cost too much in parts.

Does anyone know where I can find a whole engine for cheap?

Fine im fixing it...... so i opened up the place where the ATF fluid sits. if i rotate the "clutch" or the thing that spins when the piston moves up and down,

the inside chane moves but it makes a clunking noise evers 1/2 turn or so. the inner gear rotates but the outer grear looks like it is rubbing against the clutch. everything spins the Atf doesnt have any metal debris in it but it does have a very subtle shine to it like there are very fine metalic particles in it. Any ideas pics in a sec

in the first picture i pointed out the gear that seems to be slippinf that little internal sproket everytime i spin the flywheel it goes clunk.. clunk... clunk also i circles where the gear comes in contackt with the flywheel/ clutch. ( i am very out of my comfort zone now so feel free to correct me on the things im saying .

in the second pic its just a farther out pic of the gear touching the flywheel/ clutch

and in the third i circled there looks to be a little scre sticking out of the gear. it doesnt touch anything but it doesnt look like it is supposed to be there.

Any tips at all thanks!

Clutch 2.png
Clutch 3.png
Clutch.png

also i cannot pedal it foward now... in the beguining i could now it just makes a clunking noise

That little screw looking piece holds the end of the sprag spring.

You'll need to look behind the sprocket on the pedal shaft and there is a wishbone shaped loop of metal that fits between a slot in the case, twist it so its in the right place and then push the pedal shaft and gear cluster in at the same time. Without the cover to hold them the shafts move outwards.

Could this Crack be the grinding?

And anyone know how to make a piston stop thanks.

1412441706296.jpg

that pin or screw is correct, it's a stop for a spring.

a lot has been written on the claw collar spring, some call it a bottle opener.

read threads like this tranny problem

or search bottle opener

unfortunately, it's not your no-start issue.

Saab asked you to do a compression test, you blew it off with a "Compression is good." statement. what psi # did you get?

you kitted it, now you're looking somewhere else for the problem?

magic 8 ball says you snagged a ring, done.

no compression tester? drop the exhaust and inspect the piston thru the exhaust port.

listen to the roffman, and Saab. prove them wrong.

can't find the thread:

Overpriced Parts /

Glenn Kuehn Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> that pin or screw is correct, it's a stop for a

> spring.

> a lot has been written on the claw collar spring,

> some call it a bottle opener.

> read threads like this tranny problem

> or search bottle opener

> unfortunately, it's not your no-start issue.

> Saab asked you to do a compression test, you blew

> it off with a "Compression is good." statement.

> what psi # did you get?

> you kitted it, now you're looking somewhere else

> for the problem?

> magic 8 ball says you snagged a ring, done.

> no compression tester? drop the exhaust and

> inspect the piston thru the exhaust port.

> listen to the roffman, and Saab. prove them wrong.

Yep from his other post he overheated and snagged a ring.

Proper tuning/jetting and always run ahead temperature gauge when you change from stock pipe setup or kit a bike.

The right hand helical gear has a strange wear pattern what does the left hand gear look like, points to bad bearings.

Yes those pads look fried , you can buy a piston stop: https://www.treatland.tv/moped-piston-stop-p/moped-piston-stop-treatshq.htm

Greg, these guys can just about fix your ped through the forum. There is a huge amount of information and experience to tap in to here. Be patient, list all the relevant information, and follow the directions they give you. Don't jump to conclusions, and don't assume anything, always check.

Never give up until the job is done or the dinner bell rings...

step 1: don't be a dumb ass and "drag race" if your engine has been making a "weird rattling noise".

Stuff your shoe lace into the cylinder through the spark plug hole to make a ghetto piston stop

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account