urban express weird problem

mike mazzara /

hey guys, here's my issue, once the choke comes off the bike runs good, but when I let off the throttle it just keeps going at that speed unless I slow it down with the brakes, then it will go down to idle. The slide in the carb is going down like it"s supposed to. could no air cleaner cause this? it won"t run with an air cleaner foam but it will with a piece of screen on it. I'm stumped.

Re: urban express weird problem

If it wont run with the air filter on then you have a different problem to sort out. But no, the filter not being there will not cause this. Have you adjusted your idle/air screw properly? That can cause the idle to hang.

mike mazzara /

the mixture screw is out 2 and 1/4 turns, the idle speed is normal after I slow it down with the brakes.

mike mazzara /

is there a way to adjust the auto choke, it stays on to long, takes about a mile to start running better.

To adjust it, no. But if the filter in the bystarter is dirty or the bimetal valve attached to the head is gunked up then it will stay on longer or indefinitely and cause problems.

mike mazzara /

ok, now I made sure lines to the bystarter are all clear, I took the carb apart today and made sure the idle ports are clear, it will start and run but seems like it"s running rich. It will run ok at full throttle, but it won"t slow down much unless I use the brakes, then it will idle for maybe 10 seconds and then stall. I'm at a loss.

I didn't say the lines to the bystarter, I said the bystarter. There is a filter in there. If that filter is dirty, clogged or even missing the choke system will not operate properly.

If the idle will not COME DOWN, then you can move on. Again, have you adjusted your idle/air screw, set your idle SPEED screw.. or have any idea what either of those are?

mike mazzara /

yes I set them, the air screw 2 turns out and have set the speed screw in various places, something is causing the throttle to hang, but the slide in the carb is going up and down, maybe I have an air leak.

mike mazzara /

I obtained a repair manual online, and I found out the needle retainer was laying on it"s side and wasn"t holdling the needle down, repaired it and now it seems to run much better. hope that solved my problem, it will probably run with an air cleaner now.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account