tomos shaking noise?

Recently I have been riding my 2010 tomos streetmate r moped and noticed there is an odd grinding or shaking noise comming from the engine/gearbox. Should I be worried about this? It runs fine and sounds beautiful otherwise. I have a mlm peoples pipe a k&n air filter and a 24 tooth sproket.

Re: tomos shaking noise?

check your clutches

Yes,take it apart and check everything for looseness and excessive play. don-ohio

I don't think I am qualified to do that lol... I don't really want to go messing with it if it is just a noise.... but I will look into it thanks!

i'm sure you're qualified to check, and maybe change the trans fluid.

there's an initial 500 mile change required for break in, and level is self explanatory.

if the fluid comes out with metallic particles, maybe time to open it up.

otherwise, drain, refill, keep an ear on it for changes.

you didn't mention excessive mileage.

drain plug on the bottom, it is possible to refill via the level check plug on the side rather then fight the airbox. think squeeze bottle honey type funnel and a small hose.

Tomos Transmission is actually pretty easy as long as you put everything back the way it came off. Check for shims in the cover when you take it off, sometimes they like to stick to the bearings and come off the shaft. Dont lose them.

When you take the cover off it is very easy to see anything wrong if there is.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

<I don't really want to go messing with it if it is just a noise>

Noises are quite often the first symptoms of more serious problems on the horizon. Ignore the noise, and you risk serious damage to your ped's motor and/or tranny. (edited)

So something broke.... it sounds empty.. it just shut off. And at first it wouldn't even kick over. Now it does...

sounds like a seize, it's known as a soft-seize when it comes un-stuck later on...

Usually a shaking or bucking means clutches are bad...

Once my sprag clip fell out and got chewed up and rattled around in my engine. Check that?

in your third pix, your sprag clip is the spring wire resting against that screw you questioned.

by that pix, you can tell it is fine. keep digging for the solution.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account