E50 Noisy Clutch Plate??

Recently brought my girlfriends 77 Newport back to life. Tank is finally clean, carb no more leaky, polished chrome, paint is waxed, new trans fluid & spark plug, all new cables & switches. Life is good.

Was good. The other day she said that when she stopped at stop signs the engine would start making a random clunky knocky noise. WTF.

I started it up, and at low idle I got the same random clunky sounding knock. Pulled the head and cylinder. Not hitting the plug, cylinder & piston look great. Piston rides great on the connecting rod without play, connecting rod is nice and smooth on the crank. WTF.

Drain the ATF. Oooh pretty sparkles!!

Drop the engine, split the case. Everything looks good inside. No signs of wear. No signs of any seals or bearings that are shot. No sloppiness to anything.

Decide it has to be in the clutch somewhere. (note, this is my first time dealing with a clutch issue)

>>>> Question <<<<

Anyway, I go to remove the clutch plate retaining ring, and notice that the clutch plate just kind of "floats" inside of the clutch drum (nothing to keep it flopping back and forth against the clutch), and the thrust pin in the clutch plate has quite a bit of play in it. Is that normal? It seems like there should be something that keeps the clutch plate from flopping around.

When I pulled the clutch plate off, the inside of the conical part (facing the clutch), has a nice sparkly coating. Definitely getting closer to the problem! Unfortunately, I had to stop there because my clutch puller isn't here yet. Arriving Friday I think.

Guess I'm looking for suggestions about what my issue could be.... thanks!

On another note, I did successfully manage to rebuild the nearly frozen freewheel sprocket. Boy was that fun. LOTS of tiny little ball bearings.

(edited)

10639526_946936515192_7313612230132804440_n.jpg

Re: E50 Noisy Clutch Plate??

YOU REBUILT A FREEWHEEL?! i work with mopeds and bicycles alot, and i take a lot of time fixing dumb shit that's way easier to just replace. even still, that's a chore i'd never undertake...

might be worth lapping the clutch taper, check in-out spacing and free play, the thrust pin on the starters can get wonky too, that's my best set of thoughts

The real WillD Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> YOU REBUILT A FREEWHEEL?! i work with mopeds and

> bicycles alot, and i take a lot of time fixing

> dumb shit that's way easier to just replace. even

> still, that's a chore i'd never undertake...

LOL yeah. Waiting on the clutch puller tool and was bored. I have a new freewheel on the way (along with the clutch puller) but I figured I'd give it a go and see what happens. The insides of those are actually pretty amazing. And when I say amazing, I mean its amazing that the four little ratchets on the inside can actually hold the forces from pedaling. Here's a pic when I was first tearing it apart (had already taken out one ratchet on the left)

>

> might be worth lapping the clutch taper, check

> in-out spacing and free play, the thrust pin on

> the starters can get wonky too, that's my best set

> of thoughts

Lapping the clutch taper?? Please explain...

20140929_233955.jpg

sookia sookia /

should be a retaining ring that holds the plate in place. #13 picture

(edited)

puch1speedclutch.jpg

Learn something new everyday. I'll have to open her up again and have a look.

Thanks!

Also, if there is is to much space between the starter clutch plate, and starter clutch pads it'll make that noise and destroy the plate.

I have the shims to fix this....if that is what is going on.

MUST shim your clutch bell/drum correctly like Ryan says. The clutch starter plate shouldn't ever really rattle around. if it does, it's going to wear down the slots in the clutch bell/drum and then it will get worse and worse. so shim them properly!

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?2,3732972,3737036#msg-3737036

I think that's exactly whats happening. There's quite a bit of wiggle room between the starter plate and the starter clutch pads. I've only had the ped running for a couple weeks, and it either didnt do it for the first week, or I just didn't notice (which would be odd considering how noticeable it is). Regardless, its definitely noticeable now.

What manual is that diagram from? I have a few manuals that I had printed and bound, but my 78-80 Maxi Spare Parts Manual doesnt have part #11a called out. Not that I think that part has anything to do with this issue. Just curious.

Once my puller gets here (Treats shipped it yesterday, probably have it Saturday) I'll dig in deeper. Ryan, I may be in touch to get some shims. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Keep in mind it does need some room, or else the pads will always rub on the plate. The specs for the gap are out there. Off hand "I think" it's 0.3mm or so.

If the castellated part of your plate is worn out you need a new one. If the hole in the middle of the plate where the bearing pin rod thingy goes, or the flat bearing itself is worn out you need a new one.

Yeah, found this in one of the manuals I have....

From the info you've given and the diagram, I think that there's WAY too much gap there. Just don't know why.

Unless the idiot who had the bike before me fucked the clutch up too. Which is probably the case. (edited)

Untitled-1.jpg

If you've had it apart before, it's worth checking the circlip listed as number 6 in the diagram above. Make sure it is seated in the groove. At one point mine popped out a little bit and everything inside had like half an inch of play.

If someone installed an aftermarket crank or clutch at some point, then that can cause the clearances to be out of spec.

Someone really just needs to do a thorough video on how to properly shim your clutch. I've done it so many times and feel like I know the best way using your shims Ryan. There's the shop manual way which pretty sure your crank needs to be out of the case, then there's the "feel" way. Hmmm.. I should just make one and start with explaining how a centrifugal clutch works. A lot of people don't even know that.

Ryan, how can I get one of those sweet e50 shim kits?

Mop top- search the buy/sell forum for specifics.

PayPal. $16.50 to eyan7rice@msn.com for 1 dozen assorted shims.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account