Noob with no spark

Pearson Hurst /

Good morning everybody. So, I've never owned a moped before, never ridden a moped before, never even had a friend with one, so I'm starting from the ABSOLUTE beginning here. Please be gentile :) Anyway, I scored a freebie yesterday that I'd really like to fix up and cruise around on a little. It's a Trac Eagle in relatively good shape. It's rust free and complete, though it has been in storage for quite a while. There are some obvious things I'm going to need to replace, like the drive chain, but before I start on all of that, I'd like to get it running. Last night I started checking out the basics, and to show you exactly how much I don't know, I was finally able to test compression after I realized there is a lever I need to grip to turn the engine with the pedals. Anyway, I have good compression, so I moved on to spark. I put the plug boot on the plug, rested it on the head and cranked and cranked, but never got any spark. I'm picking up a new plug today just to be sure that's not it, but I'd like some other suggestions/procedures/tests to perform to try to troubleshoot. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? It's got the Laura M56 engine, so hopefully there is some experience here at least with the engine, as I know the ped is semi obscure. Really, I guess, it would be easiest if someone could explain a way for me to bypass any potential problems like the kill switch and other wiring stuff just to make sure the magneto and other vital components are working.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help/advice you can offer.

Re: Noob with no spark

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Clean the points.

PICS? Whatever it is with the M56, I bet Batavus...?

did you check the kill switch, is it on or off? Spark killer there...!

Pearson Hurst /

Did that already. Sorry, forgot to mention that.

Pearson Hurst /

It's a Trac Eagle, but I know the Bats are fairly popular, or at least more common, so hopefully some of that knowledge will bleed over. The switch is in the run position, but I have no way of making sure it's working propperly or how to bypass it to check.

It was dark when I got it home last night, so no pics, but I'll get some today.

Do you have a volt meter? Get one, I just spent all morning trying to find out why no spark? New points had a bad insulator from the factory , no way to see it till I took the new points out and tested with a meter, shorted out. Sanded old points and put back in it runs now. You can test all switches, set timing ,check voltage, you need one. You need to read Fred's Guide in this wiki site first. .http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Category:For_Newbies. Then read some more in there, it will help .

Pearson Hurst /

Great resource! Thanks!

Pearson Hurst /

Pics!

Needs new tires/tubes and a drive chain, and the choke lever is missing (though the cable is there and functional), and the rear brake cable is MIA, but otherwise complete. Getting ready to crack open a cold one and try again for some spark.

Pearson Hurst /

Ok, so both wires to my brake light switches are disconnected (rear brake light switch is MIA), so I figured this could be part of the problem. So, looking at this diagram:

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/file.php/6/123577/Magneto-Wires-Chart1-591x800.jpg

I should ground the blue/black wire coming out of the magneto to bypass all that stuff. I tried that, and still no spark. I didn't get a chance to pick up a new plug today, so there's still that possibility, though I cleaned the one that's in there up with carb cleaner and a wire brush, should be good enough to get something, but still no spark. Assuming I get a new plug tomorrow and it's still not working, would that indicate an issue with the magneto, or coil? Any easy way to test those? I do have a voltmeter, but would need specific instructions on how to test with it.

Thanks!

Pearson Hurst /

Here is the coil, if it helps.

Easy coil test take a nine volt battery and hook one side battery to coil ground then touch wire from other side to hot wire on coil and watch spark plug, just touch on, off. You can test points this way too, battery to points to coil back to battery.

Pearson Hurst /

Ok, so looking at my coil

I would connect one side of the battery to the white wire that is grounded to the frame, and the other to the terminal on the coil that isn't the spark plug wire?

What is the black wire next to coil wire? You need voltage to flow through coil it doesn't go there and stop. Some have separate ground, some ground through coil frame. If the white wire is only wire maybe its not the ground. Do you have a wiring diagram?

check all the grounds, stuff looks crusty

Pearson Hurst /

This is a wiring diagram for a Bat, but it's the same engine/magneto/coil, and the rest of the diagram seems to match up to what I've got as well.

Pearson Hurst /

Looking at this wiring diagram (yes, it's a Bat, but the engine/magneto/coil/wiring are the same. I see a ground at the coil, headlight, tail light, and the harness connector. Amy I missing any? I'll double check them all tonight. Yes, it's a bit crusty in some places.

Pearson Hurst /

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner! After I pulled the coil and performed the 9v battery test suggested somewhere else in this topic, I scrubbed up all the grounds, tightened everything down and tried again, this time getting spark successfully. I also stripped the carb and started soaking it last night. Maybe tonight I can try to start it!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account