Made my own gasket for float bowl on 12mm Bing carb on Sachs 505/1D. Somehow caused the throttle to get stuck wide open. Why and how do I fix it?

I decided to make my own gasket really quick for my 1980 Sachs Suburban which has the 505/1D motor. I went to start it and it almost ghost rided away. Luckily I hit the kill switch in time. This happened immediately after putting in the homemade float bowl gasket.

I kind of suck at cutting out gaskets. Could the sloppy gasket be pushing against something that would cause the throttle to be stuck wide open?

The cable is fine. I lubed it and all that. I can push it in and pull it out. When I push it into the carb, I just see the end of the cable when I look into the carb, but it doesn't have the butterfly on it. Just the cable and a little barrel on it.

Did I lose a spring or something? If so, anyone have a good tutorials on taking apart a Sachs 12mm Bing? I am not sure if I can get to the throttle plate, butterfly, whatever you wanna call the little door that opens and closes when you twist the throttle.

Re: Made my own gasket for float bowl on 12mm Bing carb on Sachs 505/1D. Somehow caused the throttle to get stuck wide open. Why and how do I fix it?

Simon Belmont /

I had issues making custom gaskets for SHA 14.12 carb, so what i've done is: used the old original gaskets but before installing, coated them with fuel resistant gasket dressing to prevent air-leaks and then installed them, seem to work fine.

Re: Made my own gasket for float bowl on 12mm Bing carb on Sachs 505/1D. Somehow caused the throttle to get stuck wide open. Why and how do I fix it?

Brent Bublitz /

The bowl gasket has nothing to do with the slide. I'm guessing something is causing the slide to stick, or the cable is not returning properly when it's all together. If all you are seeing is the cable, then something is majorly wrong. The end of the cable should be locked into a flat slide that moves up and down with the throttle cable, closing off the throat of the carb.

You have the slide in backwards and/or spring is missing...the gasket is not the problem...common sense, put it to work...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account