Seized Puch Maxi Engine (Need Advice/Thoughts)

Maxwell Falcon /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

So here is the deal:

I just recently bought a Puch Maxi moped that wasn't running, in hopes that I could fix it up and learn a thing or two in the process. This is my first ped and I am not very savy working on bikes at all. Anyway after a little troubleshooting I am pretty sure that the problem is a seized engine, but let me tell you what problem I am having.

The bike will roll just fine and I can use it by pedaling as if it were a normal bike, but when I pull down the clutch and try to give it a kick to start it, the pedal wont budge. it seems like a classic case of a seized engine.

The bike had been sitting in a garage for at least a year without being run, so that is another reason why it would make sense for this to be a seized engine. It also makes me believe that the seized engine was caused do to the engine not being run in a while as apposed to it being caused by using cheap oil or being run without oil.

Everything on the bike looks stock and i know that the bike has an E50 engine. From what little I know, it seems that the next step would be to try and manually unlodge the piston from the cylinder by soaking the piston in a high penetration lubricant for a while and then hitting a peg against the piston with a hammer in the hopes of freeing it. Do I have that right?

My questions are:

1. How do I go about doing this?

2. Is this the right approach?

3. Does it sound like there is hope for this engine? Has anyone salvaged an engine that has been seized like this, and does it help if the reason for the seize is because of the engine not being run in a while as apposed to it have been run with a bad gas-oil mix, or does it not really make a difference what the cause of the seize was?

I am new to all of this and, unfortunately, do not know alot of the terminology or names of the parts, but I would really appreciate any help I can get and your thoughts.

If you need any more info from my end let me know, or if pictures will help I will upload some.

Thanks! (edited)

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account