Re: A35 Engine Question

On that rendering.. do a more drastic bevel to the left and right 1/2", not even. and just bevel trim away the top and bottom with a sharp blade

I like to make them look like the A3 clutch pads.

4a in this image is the A3 compared to 3a which is the a35 clutch

Andrew Brusnahan /

And those are 3/32"?

Yup, otherwise you'll have to sand down the thickness of the pads a bit to make them fit into the bell.

The size of the clutch pads are 15mmx80mm if you want them to cover the entire shoe. I just cut down some new ones yesterday.

Simon Belmont /

You can use existing clutch segment to measure how much you need to cut just press the clutch shoe part onto the cork pad, slowly rock it to the other side while drawing a line around it with black marker, the 3/32 thickness is pretty much identical to what is on the original clutch, I just slightly beveled mine at all 4 sides so that it doesn't have sharp edge corners (you can use box cutter) doing this helps avoid corners from touching other parts, causing friction and ripping chunks from your nice newly made clutch. (edited)

Andrew Brusnahan /

When you guys say "bevel," are we talking about making a slanted cut as if to give it a ramp-appearance?

Simon Belmont /

Yes, just bevel it slightly at an angle so it doesn't have sharp corners.

Andrew Brusnahan /

Do I bevel the top and bottom? In other words, do I need to bevel both edges while it is not on the clutch shoe? Or can I go ahead and adhere it and then bevel the top edges?

Simon Belmont /

Picture shows how to bevel 2 long sides, don't forget to also bevel the other 2 smaller sides (top and bottom)

Andrew Brusnahan /

Perfect! That illustration helped tremendously. Just shape it like a trapezoid.

Simon Belmont /

Glad I could help :)

Andrew Brusnahan /

Does anyone know the torque needed to put the clutch nut back on?

Andrew Brusnahan /

So I am about to take the gears (seen below) off and soak in some EVAPO-RUST. Does anyone know if I need to use a certain torque to put them back on?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account